What's new

Solved Standby goes into shutdown?

Plantje

I am used to keeping my tablet in standby mode. Still I see when I pick it up in the morning it has completely shut down. Where is that setting?

Next to that I recognize what other people have mentioned: slow charging, quick decharging. I think it is something we all have to get used to. Would be less of an issue if you could just replace the battery yourself.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding the shutting down, are you sure that it is shut down, and not just hibernating?

As to the battery, i've not experienced a rapid loss of battery, but the charging is exactly as was to be expected from a micro usb cable. No idea why microsoft chose to go this route, but they did, and the charge time was picked up from the start.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Hmmm... it might in fact be hibernating. It's not a big issue. Just something that I noticed. Perhaps if I run powercfg -h /off (it was something like that) I'll get rid of that hibernation. (And save a few GBs of disk space in the process)

It's not rapid loss of battery. I just notice that indeed I will not be using this on battery for 12 hours or something like that. And I am still cautious to charging my battery too often. So, when in the office I try to prevent charging the device until 75% taking it off the charger to a meeting and then charge it again. But I think that is something more from back in the days when batteries were not Li-Ion based.
I like the micro USB on one hand since it is much better available. I wasn't really aware that is what causes slow charging. Is the SP3 for example charging a lot faster? And it doesn't seem that bad. Mine went from 16% to 48% in about an hour.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally think that we are beyond the days where we actually had to consider when to charge and use battery etc. However I would have thought that going from 100% to 75% and then charging back up would be worse than going 100% to 0% and charging. Personally i just charge when and where and have never seen an issue across my S3, SP3, and SP4.

Regarding charge time, i think that the S3 takes something like 5/6 hours or so to charge. The SP3/4 on the other hand takes about 2.5 hours i think. the micro usb cable was great in principal, with MS claiming you can just use any old battery, cable, or plug, but the reality is that the S3 is actually fairly selective when it comes to what it will work with.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

In the long run charging your battery too often could make it "lazy". On the other hand...on that long run I will most likely have a Surface 5 as my daily driver :)

Charging time of about 5-6 hours sounds right. 20% every hour.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

To be honest: I have no clue! I think I have charged my Surface in total 5-10 times before installing the update. I think someone who has had a Surface for months now can elaborate more on that.

Telstar1948

Frankly, the way I use my S3, I haven't noticed any particular problems with all this. However, I have read that there are certain USB cables when used in conjunction with the S3 charger that will allow the S3 to charge faster than using the USB cable that came with the S3 to begin with. I've not followed up on this myself, but you might want to check it out. There are those that have proven to themselves that using a certain cable with the USB charger will actually charge the S3 faster than using the stock cable. Just telling you what I've read.

The last time I checked (been a month or so) my S3, like many, would not come out of hibernation properly so you can to shut it down first. That's happened to me a few times, but again I haven't checked it for that issue lately.

My use is more like using it till I'm done, plug it in, shut it down, and leave it until I need it again the next day.