What's new

Start Menu and Action Center not working

Kris

Sorry if this was already brought up, I did a search but couldn't find anything.
If I leave my desktop running for a while the Start Menu and Action Center buttons stop working. I can't open them with the Windows key on my keyboard or right clicking the Action Center icon. Been right clicking on the Star Menu to restart the computer, to get them working again but this is becoming very annoying. Not happening on my SP3 or my wife's S3.
Trying to avoid doing a reinstall. The computer is the network hub for every device in the house and would have to a lot of work to get everything set up again, nothing hard just very time consuming.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Kris,

On that desktop PC, check out the integrity of some critical Windows 10 files and settings by running this command from an Administrator command prompt:

Code:
sfc /scannow

Let us know of your progress.

OP
K

Kris

Did that using powershell and it found errors and said it could not fix them. I then tried running this
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Haven't had a chance to see if it is working or not. Either I shut off the computer without thinking or someone else in the house does. Thanks for the quick response.

OP
K

Kris

Just noticed after using the last command these popped up
start menu.JPG
They won't open and I can't uninstall them. Anyone else run into this? lol still trying to avoid reinstalling Window....

Orlbuckeye

I solved by creating a new local account with admin rights. After restarting I copied all the folders from the old profile C:\users\profilename to the new profile and all the shortcuts from the older account appeared on the desktop.