What's new

Start Menu Reviver

tonyz3

Yeah I posted about this earlier but even though I don't need the start button:wink: I like the fact that it is touch friendly.

tonyz3

So for $hit$ and giggle$ i decided to download this and see if deep down in side i really do miss the start button. I really like the way it is touch optimized with the tiles. But it is safe to say i dont miss the start button. ?But my main reason for posting is after 2 days my screen start having a stuttering problem- it started yesterday - when ever i would scroll left or right it would stutter. This morning same thing and the only new stuff i put on my SP was this revive. I wanted to use the revive for another week before i made my decision but i needed to uninstall it to get rid of the stutter. Not sure if it was this program that caused it but it did go away after unistalling. Curious if anyone else tried this and had stuttering.... Well you cant say i did not try with this button.. A while ago i gave start 8 a try for the same reason and uninstalled for some issue it caused. I guess my SP just doesnt like the start button..:mad2:

Wayne Orwig

I didn't last more than an hour with it. It looks good, but I actually like the modern start screen. And Revive added extra steps to get to the modern start screen. All I need is a shortcut on the desktop to the programs for the occasions when I need to dig deep.

DOS

I started using this one after I saw Tony's post in another thread. I like it. To me, it has that Modern UI "feel" to it. If Windows 8.1 revives the Start Button, I hope it will be something like this.

mitchellvii

The part that confuses me in all this is why do companies keep putting resources into developing products like these? Microsoft told us that we weren't using the Start Button. Why develop something we know in advance no one wants?

J515OP

Super Moderator
The part that confuses me in all this is why do companies keep putting resources into developing products like these? Microsoft told us that we weren't using the Start Button. Why develop something we know in advance no one wants?

Because of bloggers looking for something to nit pick and a few very vocal people who even when there are multiple choices to replace the start button continue to rail on and on about how it is missing creating the impression that nobody has been able to nail a sophisticated all encompassing replacement for the very formidable start button that only MS can produce?

tonyz3

Like little Wayne O above I definitely felt like I was adding more step s to my normal routine. It is much more comfortable for me to pin stuff to the task bar while the desktop is around. .after ms kills it off for good I am comfortable with the start screen. :LOL:I never really used the start button when I had it and I don't miss it. Now if they kept the desktop with out the task bar yikes. I am swyping this in on my note 8.0 while my sp charges and for the life of me I cannot find a start button on this. How do android users manage. :wink:

mitchellvii

Because of bloggers looking for something to nit pick and a few very vocal people who even when there are multiple choices to replace the start button continue to rail on and on about how it is missing creating the impression that nobody has been able to nail a sophisticated all encompassing replacement for the very formidable start button that only MS can produce?

Something else I find amusing. Your belief that Microsoft will redesign their entire OS just to satisfy "a very few vocal people". First of all, how on Earth would you know that only "a very few vocal people" are unhappy with Windows 8 missing a Start Button? You use that as a premise for every argument you make and yet there is no possible way you can know this. For all you know, the majority of Windows 8 users want the Start Button back. Looking at the empirical evidence (the fact MS is thinking of bringing it back in some form) isn't THAT the more likely scenario rather than your "vocal minority" fantasy?

P.S., In part it is the principal of the thing. Why should users have to seek out aftermarket solutions to make a brand new OS usable? People who are technically proficient such as ourselves don't mind applying an aftermarket hack, but the average person wouldn't get near it for fear of "breaking something in their magic box". THAT'S why MS needs to (and will) bring back the Start Button.

Anyway doesn't matter. Despite being under constant attack by those such as yourself for my opinions about Windows 8's deficiencies, it appears based upon numerous press reports to this point that Microsoft agrees with me and not you. In other words, I am right, you are wrong, proof's in the pudding, next.

DOS

Ah... Oh-key-doe-key then...

Well, I found something with the Start Menu Reviver that I really don't like. It displays the time in military format, and (so far) I have been unable to find any way to change it to standard.

I certainly hope Microsoft comes up with something better... ;)