What's new

Startup Settings - Impossible to choose an option!

Epo

I am very frustrated. I tried different methods and non of them works. I hope you guys have a solution I'm not aware of.

I want to install unsigned driver on my Surface Pro (128GB, Windows 8 Pro).
I go to Troubleshoot > Avanced options > Startup Settings, and then the “Restart” button as described on this site (and many others).
However after PC restarts I am not able to choose anything. Simply my keyboard doesn't respond. I connected different one but same thing. Until this moment all works perfectly (and mouse as well). What more, my screen is different than the one from the link (black screen, oldskool DOS view):

Surface Pro Startup Settings.jpg

I tried with function keys and with number keys, as well as with num block keys. Nothing.

My keyboards are not Type or Touch Cover, they are Ligitech K800 and other on regular USB cable.

I tried on Secure Boot enabled and disabled.

I'm run out of ideas.

Wayne Orwig

At that point in the booting process it likely has not loaded a USB driver. You need a direct keyboard like the touch or type cover.

OP
Epo

Epo

Then the engineers at Microsoft are simply brilliant, superb, genius! Aaaarrrrrr, GOD! What an imbeciles. And no mention it will not work on different keyboard or even using the touch screen (UEFI can that way so why not this part? Eeh).
Thanks anyway for your reply.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You would need to enable legacy USB Support in the Firmware Settings, most of the settings are navigated using the Volume Rocker IIRC...

OP
Epo

Epo

You would need to enable legacy USB Support in the Firmware Settings, most of the settings are navigated using the Volume Rocker IIRC...

I don't see such option in UEFI. Also I've tried volume rockers but no reaction to them as well.

lanjoe9

Solution!

I had the exact same problem and was also fuming about the oversight/plain idiocy from the Microsoft engineers, luckily I've figured out a solution.

Since there is a way to boot from a USB device, in this mode the USB port should be enabled :)P).
So- a combination of both advanced startup and boot from USB device mode should do the trick:

1) Do all the steps to get to where Windows describes what "Advanced Startup Mode" means and shows the "Restart Now" button as described here (right before step 3) Windows startup settings

2) Right after clicking "Restart Now", and before the device physically restarts, press the "volume down" key on the side of the Surface Pro. (This enables booting from a USB drive - and the USB port!)

3) Once the Surface screen is up you can let go of the "volume down" key

4) You should be able to use a USB keyboard with the Advanced Startup Settings menu :)