What's new

Stephen Elop is Being Booted From Microsoft

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
elop-buh-bye.jpg

Stephen Elop, former CEO of Nokia, and current head of Microsoft's Devices and Services division will be leaving Microsoft. Apparently it was simply time to go for the man who helped create the perfect conditions for Microsoft to acquire Nokia's hardware division.

Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella has been doing some top-level restructuring at Microsoft to help get the company focused on its new vision and direction. It appears that Elop was a victim of this "restructuring."

In a Microsoft email that was shared on Microsoft's blog, Nadella had this to say,

When Stephen Elop returned to Microsoft, he oriented MDG to create the best Microsoft experience through its devices, inclusive of hardware, software and services. He has been a strong advocate of the need to drive focus and accountability around the delivery of these experiences and has helped drive tighter alignment toward the ambition of more personal computing. With the structural change described above, Stephen and I have agreed that now is the right time for him to retire from Microsoft. I regret the loss of leadership that this represents, and look forward to seeing where his next destination will be.

It looks like Elop will not be immediately getting the boot, but will instead leave after an undisclosed "designated transition period." This departure will likely add more fuel to the fire of the conspiracy theories suggesting Elop deliberately sunk Nokia's stock in order to make them prime for a Microsoft buyout. What do you think?

Source: Microsoft News

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nokia was on a course no nowhere much like BlackBerry, they couldn't or wouldn't make the hard choices. Elop's tenure was coincident not one of causality.

Nadella is lining up his reports the way he wants them... Elop obviously doesn't fit Nadell's mold and has to go.

VickiFL

It looks like Elop will not be immediately getting the boot, but will instead leave after an undisclosed "designated transition period." This departure will likely add more fuel to the fire of the conspiracy theories suggesting Elop deliberately sunk Nokia's stock in order to make them prime for a Microsoft buyout. What do you think?

Source: Microsoft News

But, that would be considered "Insider Trading," and illegal. They would never do that....

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
I tend to agree with the above. I rarely buy into conspiracy theories, but it sometimes makes for some interesting conversation. Can anyone make a convincing argument that it was all planned?

cereal killer

I tend to agree with the above. I rarely buy into conspiracy theories, but it sometimes makes for some interesting conversation. Can anyone make a convincing argument that it was all planned?
Exactly. Proving this is what he did, is an exercise in futility. Certainly not out of the realm of possibilities though. I don't discount anything that makes perfect sense nowadays. :)

Good riddance I say