What's new

Stop windows creating .old folder

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering if there is anyway to have a windows.old folder automatically deleted following a successful upgrade? Getting rather fed up of losing 16gb of disk space every time there is an update. (as well as 5gb of temporary installation files, if temporary, why don't they ever get deleted until I make it delete them, or 2gb of error log files..). Seems an incredibly inneficient use of disk space.

For me it is fine in that I know how to go about deleting it manually, but the number of people who've come to me asking why they have no disk space despite deleting apps and files etc, it just seems plain silly. Is the update process that flaky that they have to keep a whole backup because they are that lacking in confidence that the upgrade will go smoothly? Or is it maybe because of how many "updates" have turned out to be more buggy than the last and that everyone was asking why they couldn't roll back? (perhaps this given the default solution to any windows related issue is "reinstall"). Or maybe it is done purely so you run out of disk space and tell yourself next time i'll buy the expensive model..

It just makes no sense to me when they're insisting shipping devices with as little as 128gb of storage and windows takes up as much room as it does before it starts making backups, restore points, reserved space for the recycle bin etc. I still can't understand how we are still at such low levels of entry level storage. I imagine we have the Apple model to blame for that.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Clean install wiping the SSD prior, or get the MDT and create a Task Sequencer Job that cleans it after install but that would be quite of bit of work...

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clean install wiping the SSD prior, or get the MDT and create a Task Sequencer Job that cleans it after install but that would be quite of bit of work...

Why would a clean install stop this? It certainly didn't with my SP3; and the SP4 was never upgraded from a previous OS

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure some of the Win 10 updates also create Windows.old and I have Windows.old on my Win 8.1 Surface 3 that's never seen W10... regardless there's plenty of stuff on there... software distribution, winsxs etc. etc. belt, suspenders, & staples ;)
oh, a refresh also creates .old, if anybody's ever done that...

Last edited:

dajogejr

Windows has gotten fatter over the years. I actually think 10 does a better job of managing disk space than 8.1 or 7.
Two easy fixes...after the fact of course.

Disk Cleanup/System Cleanup and remove old installations...or buy more than 128G of storage.
Or...
Save OneDrive, etc., to a large mini SD Card.