What's new

Strange Charging Issue?

Runic12

I've been using my brand new pro 2 for a while now and I realised I had an RT charger and it wouldn't charge while I played games such as Civ V, I then got an official surface pro 2 charger from eBay and it worked fine. However when it chargers during game play, it hits 80% and then states, plugged in not charging. Why is this? It will charge up until this point so why would it stop? And it can charge above 80 when not gaming so it's odd.

Thanks
Nick

malberttoo

I've been using my brand new pro 2 for a while now and I realised I had an RT charger and it wouldn't charge while I played games such as Civ V, I then got an official surface pro 2 charger from eBay and it worked fine. However when it chargers during game play, it hits 80% and then states, plugged in not charging. Why is this? It will charge up until this point so why would it stop? And it can charge above 80 when not gaming so it's odd.

Thanks
Nick

Hey Nick, the plugged in but not charging part is odd.

Try a 2-button shutdown, and tell me if that fixes it...

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

OP
R

Runic12

Haven't completely restored for this issue but have previously for others, tried reinstalling drivers and getting new chargers ect. Battery settings on default and everything.

GoodBytes

Try an get the official charger (at worst you can see in returning it. if you buy it online at Microsoft Store, you should have free returns. Just make sure about that for your region before purchasing).

This is what I know:
-> RT charger can't provide sufficient power to the device to be both under load and charge the battery
-> The Surface Pro 2 charges quickly up to 80% then slows down, until it reaches ~90-95%, to charge even slower. So the power adapter that you got from ebay might not be able to adapt to the different power requirements needed for your Surface Pro 2 to charge properly. That would be my guess.