What's new

Strange Window Lag Issue?

MrTPN

Hey Everyone!

So first of all I have been a long time apple user, and recently decided to give Microsofts attempt at an integrated product a shot...

...You know, i have to say, so far I am impressed and using it over my MacBook Pro and iPad almost daily! Which I am surprised at, I was not expecting it to meet my user needs but pleasantly surprised and enjoying the experience.

However I do have a weird issue at the moment which I hope to get some help on. I have noticed when I am in "Desktop" mode and move some windows around (e.g. office, lync, etc) the windows "lag" across the screen as I move them. Now if I had allot of applications open I couldn't understand this, but I only have the basic office suite open and internet explorer with this forum in the background... so no heavy flash or HTML5 scripts running.

I did a quick check of the CPU and memory and they are WELL below thresholds of even beginning to push the system anywhere near the limits. So I can only assume that this is down to one of two things....a poorly managed GPU driver or poorly written MS Office applications. I was just wondering if anyone else was having this issue or maybe I should do a refresh?

Thanks!

MrTPN

P.S Boy do I miss "data detectors" in iOS and OSX. Why has Microsoft not turned http:// or https:// links in emails or messages into being capable or clickable :(

oion

Hey Everyone!

So first of all I have been a long time apple user, and recently decided to give Microsofts attempt at an integrated product a shot...

...You know, i have to say, so far I am impressed and using it over my MacBook Pro and iPad almost daily! Which I am surprised at, I was not expecting it to meet my user needs but pleasantly surprised and enjoying the experience.

:)

However I do have a weird issue at the moment which I hope to get some help on. I have noticed when I am in "Desktop" mode and move some windows around (e.g. office, lync, etc) the windows "lag" across the screen as I move them. Now if I had allot of applications open I couldn't understand this, but I only have the basic office suite open and internet explorer with this forum in the background... so no heavy flash or HTML5 scripts running.

Well, that IS odd. I have four desktop windows open on my Surface 2 and see no lag when dragging them around, despite the S2 being lower spec than the SPro2. There may be background processes going on; depending on how new your device is, it'll be going through maintenance/sync/etc. processes, not to mention the auto updates. I'd keep using it normally and see how long the lag lasts or if it's intermittent.

P.S Boy do I miss "data detectors" in iOS and OSX. Why has Microsoft not turned http:// or https:// links in emails or messages into being capable or clickable :(

Clickable links depends entirely on the application you're talking about. They're clickable in Outlook RT on my Surface 2, certainly. They might be disabled in settings somewhere.

OP
M

MrTPN

Hey Oion,

Thanks for the crazy-quick reply! :)

RE: Lagging issues, well I have had the device a little over a week now, so I assume all that has been taken care of by now, I guess, maybe? :S The funny thing is that my copy of office is fully licensed, up-to-date as is the surface pro 2. So I am really at a loss how a super-powerful device lags out when moving a few windows around, especially those written by the company that make my device. I hope this is a fluke or an odd error I can resolve :) :)

RE: Data Detectors, what made me mention this ironically, is when I got the email after signing up here to click to "verify" my email the http:// address was not a link, it was just a static set of text on the metro outlook. I have noticed this on a few other applications, I wonder if there is a setting for it but no idea where to even start to look for that!

Cheers

MrTPN

oion

Hey Oion,

Thanks for the crazy-quick reply! :)

RE: Lagging issues, well I have had the device a little over a week now, so I assume all that has been taken care of by now, I guess, maybe? :S The funny thing is that my copy of office is fully licensed, up-to-date as is the surface pro 2. So I am really at a loss how a super-powerful device lags out when moving a few windows around, especially those written by the company that make my device. I hope this is a fluke or an odd error I can resolve :) :)

I don't know how long indexing takes or mail syncing (Jeff mentioned elsewhere that it can take days if you have a ton of emails and stuff for Windows to index/sync), but at least you're fully patched, so something else may be going on. This will be otherwise impossible to diagnose without more information, though; for example, what other software is installed or do you have only Office on there? A combination of things can introduce some interesting bugs/behaviors. Is the lag 100% consistent right now?

RE: Data Detectors, what made me mention this ironically, is when I got the email after signing up here to click to "verify" my email the http:// address was not a link, it was just a static set of text on the metro outlook. I have noticed this on a few other applications, I wonder if there is a setting for it but no idea where to even start to look for that!

Cheers

MrTPN

Technically, there is no Metro Outlook yet (that's coming sometime next year :p). This might help as a first step, anyway: Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook (Applies to many versions of Outlook, and it seems often related to Internet Explorer, interestingly, but IE11 isn't on the list.)

OP
M

MrTPN

~I don't know how long indexing takes or mail syncing (Jeff mentioned elsewhere that it can take days if you have a ton of emails and stuff for Windows to index/sync), but at least you're fully patched, so something else may be going on. This will be otherwise impossible to diagnose without more information, though; for example, what other software is installed or do you have only Office on there? A combination of things can introduce some interesting bugs/behaviors. Is the lag 100% consistent right now?

Yep, pretty much happens all the time with office apps. I have also noticed if I scroll certain lists, say for example my Sonos music queue that it "lags" as it scrolls down. I am sure this is not normal behaviour right? I know some people have upgraded to the generic Intel driver, but not tempted to go down that route just yet.... keen to hear anyone thoughts on this though :)

Technically, there is no Metro Outlook yet (that's coming sometime next year :p). This might help as a first step, anyway: Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook (Applies to many versions of Outlook, and it seems often related to Internet Explorer, interestingly, but IE11 isn't on the list.)

Haha okay, this is clearly my lack of experience with windows 8.1 coming through. I was actually referring to the mail metro app? Thanks for the link though will give it a thorough read and see if that helps :)

Thanks,

MrTPN

Omni

Oh my Surface RT I get zero lag moving Office windows around. This defiantly sounds like a software problem on your device. Now just to find it...

Has your device always done this even before you installed any of your own apps?

OP
M

MrTPN

Oh my Surface RT I get zero lag moving Office windows around. This defiantly sounds like a software problem on your device. Now just to find it...

Has your device always done this even before you installed any of your own apps?

Hey Omni - Honestly, when I got the device I simply loaded on webroot secure anywhere (antivirus) and then office.

Aside from that the surface is pretty much squeaky clean bar a YouTube app and a twitter application. When I experience this its typically with nothing else open bar office (and naturally the webroot virus scanner). I wonder if killing webroot resolves the issue, might be worth a check before I cough up money for a renewal :p

Cheers,

MrTPN

olimjj

Try this to eliminate another source of error: windows key + X key, choose Command Prompt(Admin), type in sfc /scannow and hit enter. Don't forget the space after sfc. This takes a moderate amount of time to complete.

bluegrass

Hey Omni - Honestly, when I got the device I simply loaded on webroot secure anywhere (antivirus) and then office.

Aside from that the surface is pretty much squeaky clean bar a YouTube app and a twitter application. When I experience this its typically with nothing else open bar office (and naturally the webroot virus scanner). I wonder if killing webroot resolves the issue, might be worth a check before I cough up money for a renewal :p

Cheers,

MrTPN

You just thew me for a loop with your commnet about loading on some anti-virus program. I thought Window 8 ahd a built in anti-virus program. Isn't the Defender anti-virus protecting me?

Omni

You just thew me for a loop with your commnet about loading on some anti-virus program. I thought Window 8 ahd a built in anti-virus program. Isn't the Defender anti-virus protecting me?

If you haven't installed a anti-virus Windows Defender is working and you have nothing to worry about :).