What's new

Stream MyMusic to Xbox 360?

TAnd

Hello.

In the past, I have used the built-in Xbox 360 music application to connect to my Windows 7 PC and music library.

I have done to same to connect to my IPad and AirMusic.

I cannot figure out how to do this on the Surface.

Is it possible? The Surface Music App along with SmartGlass only seem to have an Xbox stream-to for single albums that I assume are played from the cloud.

Thanks

stlbud

Hello.

In the past, I have used the built-in Xbox 360 music application to connect to my Windows 7 PC and music library.

I have done to same to connect to my IPad and AirMusic.

I cannot figure out how to do this on the Surface.

Is it possible? The Surface Music App along with SmartGlass only seem to have an Xbox stream-to for single albums that I assume are played from the cloud.

Thanks
In Windows 7 you had to use Media Player to "Play To" Xbox 360. In Windows RT Media Player does not exist and will not be available. The solution is, as you have discovered, to Play To Xbox 360 in Xbox Music app. An alternative that I have not yet tried with my Surface, would be to share your music files and have your Xbox 360 find them on your network. This has worked well for me with Window 7. I suppose it would work well for Windows 8. Windows RT on Surface RT is a bit different so, as they say, YMMV.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
If you have downloaded your music, you can stream Music from the file explorer with the play-to-function, which looks like the old one WMP. Just select your desired music and and click on the Play-ribbon. Note: I'm not quite sure, if this is working with stream-only-music from a xbox-music pass.

OP
T

TAnd

Thanks Mr.NK.

Play To works well for me with downloaded tracks. I can confirm it does not work with XBox Music/Add to My Music.

I never used Play To with Windows 7. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the default music app in XBox scans the LAN for DLNA servers. This is how it "pulled from" my Windows 7 machines and my iPad. Long story short, I think what I am hearing is that Surface RT cannot be set up as a DLNA server but can "push media to" XBox 360?