What's new

Streaming on surface?

shaky89

Hello! it is possible to watch movies and tv series in streaming (on websites like nowideo, topvideo, putlocker) on surface 2? I want to buy one but I need this information before and even at the shops they don't know it. Thanks to everybody who will answer :)

Rallicat

Yes, but it depends on the product and the Surface you buy.

If you buy Surface RT, or Surface 2, then you'll be able to visit websites that use Flash for streaming and it should work fine. If the website uses anything other than Flash (even Microsoft's own Silverlight) then it will NOT work, and it is absolutely not possible to install any plugins on Surface RT or Surface 2. This is the same as an iPad or Android tablet. NO PLUGINS! The only exception to this will be if the streaming service has written an app for the Windows store that plays their streams.

If you buy the Surface Pro 2 however, then you have the option of installing plugins, so whatever weird and wonderful plugin a streaming site might happen to use - then you can do it no problem. Be warned however - junk up your tablet with too much software and plugins and the nice smooth experience that many tablets deliver 'out of the box' might start to degrade! Nevertheless, compared to other tablets, those that run 'full Windows' like the Surface Pro 2 are clearly much more flexible, and if that's something you need then it could justify the extra money.

CrippsCorner

He said Surface 2, and he's posted in the Surface 2 section lol... unless he's made a mistake I think it's easy to presume that's the model he's talking about!? Anyway, where are you in the world? In the UK I use 4oD & TVCatchUp for streaming on demand shows and live TV streaming, they both have apps in the Windows Store.

OP
S

shaky89

He said Surface 2, and he's posted in the Surface 2 section lol... unless he's made a mistake I think it's easy to presume that's the model he's talking about!? Anyway, where are you in the world? In the UK I use 4oD & TVCatchUp for streaming on demand shows and live TV streaming, they both have apps in the Windows Store.

Yes, I was talking about surface 2. I'm in Italy and I don't know these web sites you are writing about. Before buying it I would like to be sure i'm gonna be able to use it also to stream movies and tv series. I'm gonna move abroad for some months and I don't want to bring my laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I was talking about surface 2. I'm in Italy and I don't know these web sites you are writing about. Before buying it I would like to be sure i'm gonna be able to use it also to stream movies and tv series. I'm gonna move abroad for some months and I don't want to bring my laptop.

If the site uses Flash or HTML5 it will work, if it requires Silverlight or 3rd Party Plugin it will not...

Go to the sites in questions in look at the requirements of each, also check to see if there is an alternate way to view. Example: Amazon Prime Video here in the States uses Silverlight for streaming, but there is also a link to use Flash. The Flash site works well on the Surface 2.

OP
S

shaky89

If the site uses Flash or HTML5 it will work, if it requires Silverlight or 3rd Party Plugin it will not...

Go to the sites in questions in look at the requirements of each, also check to see if there is an alternate way to view. Example: Amazon Prime Video here in the States uses Silverlight for streaming, but there is also a link to use Flash. The Flash site works well on the Surface 2.

Thank you, I'll try to figure it out! :)

kundas1

Putlocker sucks, its all trailers and crapware they want you to install... but it works fine. I'd suggest watch32 which works fine on the Surface 2 also... what's even better is transferring movies over on the SD card and watch them that way also... but I certainly recommend getting a S2. haven't regretted mine yet not once.