What's new

Struggling to setup email accounts - Needs Digital Certificate on this PC

zubo

Has anyone encountered this when setting their accounts up - says contact my system administrator

... that is all very well but he may know about the certificate but wont know how to get them setup on my pc...

helppppppppppp

george

kricke

Hi George,

I had the same problem with an exchange server certificate. But I figured out how to solve the problem.
I used dropbox, - a USB stick will do as well - to get the certificate onto the surface. I saved it to c:\some directory.
Then I doubleclicked/doubletouched/singletouched the certificate in desktop mode and windows opened a popup and asked where I wanted to install the cert. to. As my cert. was a company internal cert. I put it into something with root ... directory or so (in German i.e. Stammzertifikate Verzeichnis), both under user and computer account. Maybe only one place was the right one, and the other not necessary, but anyway it worked.

Does this help?

Knut

Doc750

hello I'm experiencing similiar issues as well where I am unable to set up my work outlook email account on this machine. The error msg I am recieving states " This server requires Exchange ActiveSync policies that this PC can't enforce."

I tried setting up the email through both options 1) Outlook as well as 2) other acount - Exchange Activesync. I did of course add in all information correctly (email addy, Server address, domain, user name and password).

I spoke with Microsoft surface support this morning and they were unable to resolve the issue and referred me to my IT dept. But I know the response from there will be "sorry we don't support this device"

I went to return the tablet today and the sales associate said he heard of similiar complaints, said it was possibly related to SDS email servers,and suggested transfering the certificate method as well.

Kricke can you please list the exact steps on how I would 1) locate this certificate on my work laptop and 2) get it to work correctly on this tablet. I really like the surface, it shouldn't be this difficult to set up basic email, but if I can't get it to work, it will have to go back.

Hi George,

I had the same problem with an exchange server certificate. But I figured out how to solve the problem.
I used dropbox, - a USB stick will do as well - to get the certificate onto the surface. I saved it to c:\some directory.
Then I doubleclicked/doubletouched/singletouched the certificate in desktop mode and windows opened a popup and asked where I wanted to install the cert. to. As my cert. was a company internal cert. I put it into something with root ... directory or so (in German i.e. Stammzertifikate Verzeichnis), both under user and computer account. Maybe only one place was the right one, and the other not necessary, but anyway it worked.

Does this help?

Knut

thanks in advance.

Doc750

just to document my efforts so far. I followed the instructions here somewhat, but was unsure which file I was to choose. So I selected the one where it said intended purpose was "Secure email" and the certificate name was named "Microsoft Authenticode root.."

I then used a USB drive to transfer the file onto the note. I followed the instruction prompts to install the certificate. I then went back and attempted to add the email account unsuccessfully.

kricke

I assume that your notebook has the required certificate installed, i.e. Outlook connects to your company's Exchange server.

Open command line (dos Box) with Win + R
Type in mmc and hit enter
Management Console should pop up
Go to file, add snap-in
look for Certificates and add them, either for your account or the computer (depends on how and where the certificate on your notebook was installed)
add the snap-in to your local computer
After some more clicks on ok, you should find 'certificate' at the left panel
click on it and at the middle panel all the stores should be visible
open root certificates on the left panel and find your company's certificate on the middle panel
right click it and all tasks and export
export it to desktop or USB stick or ...

now you have the certificate and can install it onto the Surface.

Prerequisite is that you know the name of the certificate or you might have to make a qualified guess and hope that the name of the certificate resembles a bit your company's name.

Hope this helps. And please do not forget that I used a German installation to guide the way, so my wording could be a bit different than that what you might see.

Knut