What's new

Stuck in Automatic Repair - USB boot will not work

kelsey.yearick

Hey guys,
My surface is stuck in the Automatic Repair loop. It says the surface is preparing for an automatic repair, then the computer crashes and says it will restart itself, then it will boot back to the automatic repair.

I have tried booting from a USB stick (even one from Microsoft), using the down volume rocker, but have had no success.

Any ideas? I use this surface for my classroom and don't have funds for another :(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hold the power button for 30 seconds to force a Power Off.
remove any micro SD cards from the device.
Attempt to boot to your Recovery USB. Hold the volume down button then press and release the power button and continue to hold the volume down button until after the "Surface" logo appears then release. You should see any lights on the USB drive if any flash.

OP
K

kelsey.yearick

Hold the power button for 30 seconds to force a Power Off.
remove any micro SD cards from the device.
Attempt to boot to your Recovery USB. Hold the volume down button then press and release the power button and continue to hold the volume down button until after the "Surface" logo appears then release. You should see any lights on the USB drive if any flash.

When you continually hold down the volume rocker, it crashes and states that it needs to restart. It's trying to access the USB, as the lights are on, on the usb

Foonus

Make sure your USB stick is formatted in FAT32.. if you have it formatted in NTFS you can be doing everything right as far as procedure goes and it still will not boot from it.