What's new

Student discount.

Kris

I ordered the I5/128 from Costco, If I find that not powerful enough I want to switch back the I5/256 maybe even an I7 model. If it doesnt work out I was planning on ordering through Microsoft store, online. I myself am not a student but I have many friends that are students and they are all willing to help me get the student discount. So I guess my question is if I use one of my friends does the student discount lock the device into their name or anything like that, that I should be aware of? Yes I know this is shady, I would love to justify it but all I can say is I'm pretty much broke and the discount would help out a lot if I decided to get the I5/256 again or even get an I7 model.

mennogreg

You should have no problems, it doesn't register in their name.

Try not to feel too bad. I pulled an acceptance form online from Syracuse University circa 1996. Changed the name and date with photoshop, and MS accepted it.

OP
K

Kris

ok so I will need to have my friend pull up his transcript or something. Best Buy said I would just need an active edu email address....

mennogreg

ok so I will need to have my friend pull up his transcript or something. Best Buy said I would just need an active edu email address....

No, I had to do that as I didn't have an active EDU account. You likely won't need anything else if you've got that already.

phositadc

You should have no problems, it doesn't register in their name.

Try not to feel too bad. I pulled an acceptance form online from Syracuse University circa 1996. Changed the name and date with photoshop, and MS accepted it.

Not sure I'd brag about that, or even advertise it, friend.

mennogreg

Not sure I'd brag about that, or even advertise it, friend.

Wasn't bragging, just trying to make someone else feel better with their own deception. I did legitimately qualify for the military discount, but that was only 5% savings vs. 10% for students.

mwilson

On MS online store just click the education link, enter your zip code and a school name you know in the area. That's it, no more. No verification.

kundas1

If you are broke, don't buy new things. Very simple rule.

Wasn't bragging, just trying to make someone else feel better with their own deception. I did legitimately qualify for the military discount, but that was only 5% savings vs. 10% for students.

can you please leave your holier than thou remarks to yourself! we don't need you to chastised the other members, if you have a problem with it then by all means don't do it, but if someone else wants to do it then they don't need to be judged nor lectured... thanks ;)

malberttoo

At the same time... it could very well be that a couple of members are on this thread, one admitting to fraud, and the other preparing to commit it.

Perhaps the first post might be edited to reflect a different scenario, in which a student is going to give his friend an SP3. Or something.

Just sayin...

Last edited: