What's new

Student discount.

ipaq_101

This forum isn't meant to show people how to break/bend the rules, if you want to discuss such things, please do so via pm or another method.

See below the official MS policy:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/html/pbPage.StudentOfferTermsConditions

More specifically:

Audit Rights
Microsoft may routinely audit the purchases of customers at the Microsoft Education Store to insure that that all purchase conditions have been observed. If Microsoft discovers you have made a false representations of eligibility or that a customer does not meet the purchase conditions, you authorize Microsoft:

• For credit card orders, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Microsoft charged the general public for the same goods at the Microsoft Store, in effect on the date that you place your order; and
  • For Gift Card, cash, or other payment means, the Microsoft Store will (a) invoice the difference between the amount that you paid for the products and the price that Microsoft charged the general public for the same goods at the Microsoft Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, Microsoft may institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.

kundas1

the way I see it, fraud is a big word to use in this instance, who here hasn't used a friend working some where to get a "friends" discount or used a coupon from a friend to get a little discount it isn't right but everyone does it.. this is more of a moral dilemma and we're not the MORAL POLICE... if someone has their panties in a bunch then it's upto them not to participate in that, that's it that's all... who are we or anyone else here to judge? no ones a saint on these forums and for members to start pointing a finger when some one is bending the rules to get a break is just hypocritical in my eyes...but that's just me ;) lol

OP
K

Kris

At the same time... it could very well be that a couple of members are on this thread, one admitting to fraud, and the other preparing to commit it.
Perhaps the first post might be edited to reflect a different scenario, in which a student is going to give his friend an SP3. Or something.
Just sayin...
I am sorry for stirring the pot, from now on I will be more careful how I word my posts and questions.

This forum isn't meant to show people how to break/bend the rules, if you want to discuss such things, please do so via pm or another method.
See below the official MS policy:
Again I apologize I was not thinking of it in that matter, I will refrain from doing so in the future

the way I see it, fraud is a big word to use in this instance, who here hasn't used a friend working some where to get a "friends" discount or used a coupon from a friend to get a little discount it isn't right but everyone does it.. this is more of a moral dilemma and we're not the MORAL POLICE... if someone has their panties in a bunch then it's upto them not to participate in that, that's it that's all... who are we or anyone else here to judge? no ones a saint on these forums and for members to start pointing a finger when some one is bending the rules to get a break is just hypocritical in my eyes...but that's just me ;) lol
This is what mind set I was in, I used to work retail. Family and friends would always use my discount. Truthfully I see nothing wrong with it then or now. But I do respect the forums enough to try and refrain from bringing up topics like this that upset certain people... I understand both points of few but what is most important here is that I do not want to go against the forum rules or bring trouble to the forum by any means.

raqball

You should have no problems, it doesn't register in their name.

Try not to feel too bad. I pulled an acceptance form online from Syracuse University circa 1996. Changed the name and date with photoshop, and MS accepted it.

Wasn't bragging, just trying to make someone else feel better with their own deception. I did legitimately qualify for the military discount, but that was only 5% savings vs. 10% for students.

My .02

Having a friend or family member hook you up with a student discount is a-ok in my book but going above and beyond to find and falsify a document (changing name ect) with PhotoShop is flat out fraud in my opinion..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK, this thread has "Jumped the Shark" to a degree, if you haven't already done so please review forum rules....

Especially - 3. Personal attacks (Flaming, Name Calling) on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/guidelines-of-conduct-for-surfaceforums-net.162/

I will put my two cents into this moral discussion - There are other legitimate ways to get a discount, ask your local Microsoft Rep for a Friends and Family Card, BestBuy/Staples Price Matching or Coupon Codes.

malberttoo

This is what mind set I was in, I used to work retail. Family and friends would always use my discount.

I am completely ok with this! I bring my brother-in-law with me to Lowe's all the time, in order to get his military discount! :D

But when you take it to the level of falsifying documents, that is something else entirely.

At the same time, I absolutely recognize that you were not saying that you were going to do so.

Ok then enough staid about that.