What's new

Studying for school with the Pro

lordofpi

Hi all. I'm looking to use my Surface Pro for all of my studying this fall semester, leaving the paper-and-ink--cluttered world in the dust as much as possible. I intend to do this through MS One Note and by using the stylus for in-class input.

Has anyone attempted to do this yet? I would love to hear about it.

I'm very unsure how to structure the work flow, as this will be my first foray into using One Note on this level. I am assuming a good scanner is a good idea, but beyond that, I am not sure where to even start.

Check out this video on using One Note on the Surface Pro. It's a 30min video, very thorough and talks about many of the practical features that can be used with One Note (this video makes me want to use One Note more often). [video=youtube;C7OROShRVzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OROShRVzQ[/video]

(BTW, it's not my video).

Lolvo

Hi all. I'm looking to use my Surface Pro for all of my studying this fall semester, leaving the paper-and-ink--cluttered world in the dust as much as possible. I intend to do this through MS One Note and by using the stylus for in-class input.

Has anyone attempted to do this yet? I would love to hear about it.

I'm very unsure how to structure the work flow, as this will be my first foray into using One Note on this level. I am assuming a good scanner is a good idea, but beyond that, I am not sure where to even start.

I'm the in the same boat as you, albeit I will be using an RT. I have preemptively fooled around with ON to try to grasp how efficient it will be in the classroom, and I will say that my RT WILL have its limitations, but as far as basic classwork - notes, writing, calculations, research, etc. - I feel my device will keep up. It all depends on what type of work you will be needing to accomplish of course, but if you have the Pro, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest.

OP
L

lordofpi

Thanks for the awesome replies. And I'm going to check out that video right now.

I think I just need to get going and mess around with this way before my next semester begins in the fall. I am afraid of screwing it up and not doing it perfectly out of the box, which is ridiculous lol.

MadMax

After using ON for college the last 2 yrs, and the Pro for this last 2 terms, I might be able to give you some guidelines how I use both.

I have a notebook called Present Courses, in which I have folders for each class. I have title page for class/instructor info., and next page is syllabus. 3 page is always Schedule, which I plan the whole term with, divided into weeks with checkmarks and details (so I stay organized and on track).

I then have a Project Page with subfolders for all ongoing projects, broken down into Instructions, schedules, details, and into resources, links, brainstorming etc.

After Projects, I have Weeks 1-11, on pages with subpages for Lectures, PDF Notes, Word PDF, Powerpoint ported over etc.

After weekly, I have a master copy of all PDF's and PPT's that are unannotated which I copy over to weekly pages as I go along.

I do this the same for every class so I can quickly find what information I need and quickly.