What's new

Success Windows 8.1 RTM Installed

TeknoBlast

Alright, so I was able to install WIN8.1 on my desktop. Here's what I did and it was a suggestion from another poster from here.

I created a file called ei.cfg with Notepad. In it is the following:

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Just like above. That's all. I placed that file into the Sources folder of the install files. I kicked off the installation as normal and finally I was able to get the "keep apps, settings, and files" option. Once selected, you get to a point where it asks you for a Serial Key. If you don't have one and forgot to right it down, don't worry, you can skip that part. Continue as normal with the installation and within 30 minutes or so, you're done.

Once you have your Serial Key, you'll need to go to the Computer properties to activate Windows.

That's it and you've just upgraded to Windows 8.1 RTM without losing any data or applications.

However, there's always a however. You'll noticed in desktop mode that there's a watermark that states "Windows 8.1 Pro SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600."

I haven't figured out how to get rid of that. I messed with my settings but nothing.

Since I got that watermark, I don't know if I'll get the same with my Surface, so I think I'll wait to upgrade when the Windows Store provides it.

Hope this helps some of you.

SecureBoot.JPG

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

Looks like I'll have to live with the watermark. Since my GPU is not "Windows 8" compatible , I cant enable some of the Windows 8 BIOS features, which I think some can remove that watermark. Oh well, it's in the corner and I can live with it.

Russ

Alright, so I was able to install WIN8.1 on my desktop.

Darth --

Thanks; using your little cfg file, I uograded my shop computer to 8.1. I got the ISO from Technet. I, too, had a watermark, but just the name and build number. I activated it using the product ID#, then installed updates (a bunch). After the updates, the watermark disappeared.

I may do my "main computer" in the living room while I watch the game, but want to do a full backup of the boot drive first. My "office computer" will have to wait, because it's 32-bit, and I have only downloaded the 64-bit install. Like you, I'm going to let my Pro wait for the "official" update.

Regards,
Russ

Last edited:
OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

I upgraded the computer my wife uses and I didn't get a watermark on that desktop. So it's my GPU that's issue since it's not a "windows 8" logo GPU. It's a gaming GPU that cost me a pretty penny, so I'm not going to buy another GPU to just get rid of the watermark.

Russ

I upgraded the computer my wife uses and I didn't get a watermark on that desktop.

Darth --

I have now upgraded three of my computers: my shop computer, an "extra" that I keep for my granddaughters to use when they visit, and one that I have set up for my Ladyfriend to use when she is here. I had to reinstall the Chinese language pack on that one after the upgrade. Each one initially had the watermark, but in each case it went away. Not sure, but I think it was Activation that caused it to disappear.

The upgrade will not install on my "main computer" in the living room, because I have Windows Media Center on that system. I tried removing Media Center in the Remove Features in Control Panel, but it still will not install, suggesting instead that I do a fresh install. That system has a lot of stuff on it, and a fresh install is not something I am willing to do at this point. The 8.1 Upgrade is simply not worth that much work. I can only hope that when 8.1 comes as an "update" that it will install around that impediment.

Still have my office computer to do, but need to download the 32-bit install for it. I do not intend to do my Pro until the install comes as an update. Ladyfriend is leaving for a 6-week China trip, so I will do hers when she returns.

Regards,

Russ

Endorsay

Nice tip about ei.cfg

Separately, I upgraded from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 RTM. Unfortunately for me, it is not as good since awaking from sleep always leads to a crash and restart :(
So I'm back to previous 8.0 partition for meantime.

I have a dumb 8.1 RTM RT question...
Under 8.0 the PHOTOS app would link to online accounts like Facebook and Flickr, but I saw no option for PHOTOS under 8.1. Did that feature disappear or is it located elsewhere?

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

I have a dumb 8.1 RTM RT question...
Under 8.0 the PHOTOS app would link to online accounts like Facebook and Flickr, but I saw no option for PHOTOS under 8.1. Did that feature disappear or is it located elsewhere?

The Photo App is your root. Once you had pictures and folders, you'll see them in the app. Like for me, when I click on the Photo app, all I see is the iPod Photo Cache folder.

The Photo App is your root. Once you had pictures and folders, you'll see them in the app. Like for me, when I click on the Photo app, all I see is the iPod Photo Cache folder.
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is for the Photo app to link to Facebook and Flickr like it does under 8.0. Once those accounts are linked into the Photo app, then the live tile for the Photo app displays photos from local storage, Facebook, and Flickr. There is no option in 8.1 (that I can see) to activate that behavior.