What's new

suggestions for note, email, game apps, why does typing all of a sudden disappear?

disambiguous1

My wife got me the Surface Pro because of the problems I was having with the Mac/iOS platforms. I'm a currency trader, and although there is a Java-based app for the brokers I use, it is obtuse and unreliable, and does not suit my trading style at all. MetaTrader4, the platform I on my main Windows-based trading computer, only works on full-blown Windows (it will not work on the RT). I need a tablet I can grab when my signal alarms go off and immediately react with a platform I know. I also design automated trading systems that work on MT4. So far the Surface Pro seems to work for that.

The other thing I need the Surface Pro for is videography (yeah, I wear a lot of hats). There is a Windows-based piece of software I can get that will enable the SP to work as a monitor for my Nikon video-capable SLRs. That will be a huge boon.

The third thing I will need it for is taking notes. I have been using Notability on my iPad, and it works OK. I am willing to spend the bucks on Note Anytime Premium, but there aren't many reviews of it and I want a lot more info before I shell out that much for an app. Any suggestions for any other note-taking apps, or opinions on Note Anytime Premium, would be welcome.

I am also re-vamping my approach to email. I have several email addresses, with two main ones at Yahoo and Gmail. I have been using iOS, and Gmail works well with my iPhone and iPad. I use the Gmail for critical stuff and the Yahoo accounts for the more mundane material. Any suggestions about good email software to use with the Surface Pro would be appreciated. It also wouldn't break my heart to switch away from Gmail for contacts and calendar. I could go to iCloud, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with Mac. Any suggestions for scheduling/contacts suppliers that will work with the Surface, Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and sync across all those platforms?

The last thing I want is Sudoku and Hearts. I just want simple, fast, straightforward games that I can flip on real quick when I'm waiting for something else to finish, with no extraneous graphics.

Also, does anyone have any idea why, when I'm typing with the Surface keypad (the black one with the real keys), all of a sudden the curser will shift to somewhere else way down or way up the page, or-- and this is especially infuriating-- it will all of a sudden select and erase a whole bunch of material that I've just typed?
Many thanks for all suggestions. -DA1

tonyz3

I would suggest the free version of note anytime to get the feel of it first. I like it but I have noticed some lag starting to dev on occasion when I use it. You would like one note and Windows journal for good responsive inking note taking.
For my calendar, email and contact needs I use an account I have with Ms exchange, it cost me $6 a month and has never let me down, I used it on Android and when I had an iPad for a while, of course you needed to use touchdown to get it to work. Currently the exchange with new outlook works for me. I am rambling bc I have a 3yr old tearing up the place in the background. I will add more if I get some quiet time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Check out One Note and Evernote. Also checkout Outlook.com for mail and calendar. There are plenty of little time waster app games in the store so that is one place where the store has you covered. For the mouse, try cleaning your screen and rebooting.

JP

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
The other thing I need the Surface Pro for is videography (yeah, I wear a lot of hats). There is a Windows-based piece of software I can get that will enable the SP to work as a monitor for my Nikon video-capable SLRs. That will be a huge boon.
NKremot or Dcam Capture seems to fit your needs.

The third thing I will need it for is taking notes. I have been using Notability on my iPad, and it works OK. I am willing to spend the bucks on Note Anytime Premium, but there aren't many reviews of it and I want a lot more info before I shell out that much for an app. Any suggestions for any other note-taking apps, or opinions on Note Anytime Premium, would be welcome.
OneNote turned out to be a great thing for me - as i'm able to use it with WindowsPhone, Win8 and iOS with a nice set of options and it's free. As an alternative evernote comes to my mind - although they recently had a security issue (who does not atm) and you'll have to pay for extended use.

Also, does anyone have any idea why, when I'm typing with the Surface keypad (the black one with the real keys), all of a sudden the curser will shift to somewhere else way down or way up the page, or-- and this is especially infuriating-- it will all of a sudden select and erase a whole bunch of material that I've just typed?
Many thanks for all suggestions. -DA1
There are a few users (including myself) which have the same problems - i'm thinking of starting a poll to determine if this is a general bug or a thing to a faulty batch.