What's new

Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 are NEARLY SOLD OUT

oion

This "news" was linked in other threads--

Basically, this is factually incomplete so long as no one knows how many units Microsoft prepared ahead of time and how tightly or loosely they stocked various channels. There are absolutely no conclusions to be drawn. The rumor just ends up spinning itself.

You really can produce only 1000 units on a national scale, don't tell anyone about that fact, and then proudly proclaim the news that you sold out to give the illusion of popularity. It's a popular brand marketing ploy (hey, I work for a brand too). I wouldn't blame MS, though. Apple has certainly done it.

Some discussion on that: Microsoft: Surface 2 and Pro 2 'close to selling out' -- but is it really?

OP
G

geisslingen

True, no one except MS knows how many units are sold in the first two weeks. How about Apple claiming the sold 9 Million I-Phone 5 in the first 3 days? I guess they all do similar marketing to generate interest.

oion

True, no one except MS knows how many units are sold in the first two weeks. How about Apple claiming the sold 9 Million I-Phone 5 in the first 3 days? I guess they all do similar marketing to generate interest.

Yes, and the "free" market being the way it is, there's nothing really wrong with that. Just up to the consumers to figure out what they want to do. While behavioral economics/game theory is all interesting discussion, the reality is that some consumers will end up not being able to buy something they might want. Well. The trick here I think is MS being able to produce surplus in preparation for the holiday season--much better to "sell out" now than in November, I imagine. This preorder period is probably to test the waters, however many units they did set aside at the moment.

Either way, MS is winning the media battle finally (better advertising helps a whole lot): The attention is there. And even if the Surface lines are still vilified here and there, other Win8 tablets seem to be coming in the market too.

SEANT

I’m hoping for a new CEO committed to full disclosure.

Most of the market is savvy. They will not be swayed by claims of sold out inventory, unless accompanied by hard numbers. For every consumer impressed by the “Sold Out” claim, there are numerous insulted by it. For every potential stakeholder in the ecosystem, the un-quantified “Sold Out” claim is just another source of concern.

Microsoft, be sensible, but also be proud of this product. Give out the numbers. If the numbers are not good it is okay to be mystified, but also double the commitment, double the effort to make it even better. The big sales numbers will come when everyone knows the full score.

Last edited:

demandarin

Most of the market is savvy. They will not be swayed by claims of sold out inventory, unless accompanied by hard numbers. For every consumer impressed by the “Sold Out” claim, there are numerous insulted by it. For every potential stakeholder in the ecosystem, the un-quantified “Sold Out” claim is just another source of concern.

Microsoft, be sensible, but also be proud of this product. Give out the numbers. If the numbers are not good it is okay to be mystified, but also double the commitment, double the effort to make it even better. The big sales numbers will come when everyone knows the full score.

Wow, very well put. I have a feeling they will be a lot more successful this go around. Seems like they getting even more exposure this time around and properly marketing the devices and their capabilities. I agree, I want to see the numbers.

Want to know the future of the Surface devices? Look back at what Microsoft did with the Zune.

The decisions that Microsoft is making for the Surface are alarmingly similar to what they did with the Zune. I won't run down all the similarities, but this latest "nearly sold out" news for the 2nd gen Surfaces mirrors what Microsoft did with the Zune 80 (2nd gen Zune). After over-producing the Zune 30 (compared to demand), Microsoft over compensated by severely under producing the Zune 80. In an attempt to manufacture buzz by manipulating supply, it had the opposite effect... since people who were interested couldn't buy a Zune 80, they looked elsewhere. It didn't work then... it won't work now.

The tablet market is perhaps the most competitive market in consumer electronics... this is no time to play games.

oion

Want to know the future of the Surface devices? Look back at what Microsoft did with the Zune.

The decisions that Microsoft is making for the Surface are alarmingly similar to what they did with the Zune. I won't run down all the similarities, but this latest "nearly sold out" news for the 2nd gen Surfaces mirrors what Microsoft did with the Zune 80 (2nd gen Zune). After over-producing the Zune 30 (compared to demand), Microsoft over compensated by severely under producing the Zune 80. In an attempt to manufacture buzz by manipulating supply, it had the opposite effect... since people who were interested couldn't buy a Zune 80, they looked elsewhere. It didn't work then... it won't work now.

The tablet market is perhaps the most competitive market in consumer electronics... this is no time to play games.

There is one big and critical difference between Zune and Surface, however:

Surface is competing in a niche where Microsoft already has other manufacturers using their OS, so MS has revenue that way. Zune competed completely on its own; if (when) it failed, MS would be completely out of that market. This is not true for the hybrid/tablet/laptop market simply because other Windows 8 devices are being manufactured and sold. The business reasoning behind creating the Surface (and pissing off manufacturing partners) has also been the subject of discussion by various analysts. So while the superficial marketing aspects may be similar, the overall effects pertaining to "success" for MS is going to be vastly different from the Zune to Surface.