What's new

Surface 2 Batttery Life

OP
B

borka105

I am beginning to wonder if maybe the culprit is the micro sd card. I have all my pictures, and music saved to my micro sd card... maybe this is impacting the battery life since the live tile is updating to show different pictures.

Would there be any way to check the impact of the sd card on the battery life?

Thanks

itsmeagain

Yes, that's possible. You can check it by removing the sd-card for one charge cycle and then you can see how long you can use the battery.

I noticed if i leave wifi turned on as opposed to it off, the battery last alot longer on standby.
Overall it is known that when surfing the web it eats up the battery alot, but you can get around 6.5 hours strictly web usage.

I mixed pdf (textbook reading) and word (notes) while using the internet sporadically and I got around 9 hours. Which isn't bad.

Notice the temp on the back of the surface, if the surface is hot the battery is going to be draining fast. If its cool and warm it would drain normally.

kristalsoldier

I noticed if i leave wifi turned on as opposed to it off, the battery last alot longer on standby.
Overall it is known that when surfing the web it eats up the battery alot, but you can get around 6.5 hours strictly web usage.

I mixed pdf (textbook reading) and word (notes) while using the internet sporadically and I got around 9 hours. Which isn't bad.

Notice the temp on the back of the surface, if the surface is hot the battery is going to be draining fast. If its cool and warm it would drain normally.

Well, the reason the battery may be showing better results with WIFI on when in standby mode is because of the Connected Standby status. The Surface 2 is meant to be on all the time - or so MS advises us. In such a state, it powers down to a low level, but remains on to keep itself updated, get mail and news updates etc. If WiFi is off, the Surface keeps seeking to update itself but fails to do so, which apparently costs in battery terms. Can't say I fully understand the logic. But for details, look here: Connected Standby (Windows Drivers)