What's new

Surface 2 BSOD at the end of full refresh

stephenteh

Hi,

My Surface 2 BSOD at the end of the full refresh but it seem to be ok after I restart the device (pressed and hold the power button until it the screen turn off). I think this is a software issue instead of hardware. Anyone having this issue?

Thanks,

Stephen

kundas1

I had that happen to me also, I had to refresh today due to a bad display driver issue I have been having trouble for awhile with... and then i did a reboot and it works ok I guess, BUT my display driver problem came back after making updates.... GRRRRR

Daniel290881

Hi,
this error have a lot of users for some days. The MS Forum has a lot of posts with this error.

had this blue screen too.

I made a USB Recovery Stick and installed that again.

1. Shut Off Sureface

2. Input USB Stick

3. Press Volume Down and hold it

4. Shut On Surface (holding Volume Down)

5. When FUrface logo appears, release Volume DOwn)

Then Troubleshooting -> Recovery -> Full Recovery

After that i hadnt a blue screen with PAGE FAULT anymore.

BUT: You will still have old NVIDIA Drivers of August. This is the error all users have after Recovery. And all are waiting for a FIX.

See those postings on MS Forum:
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA Error Message - Now Frozen - Microsoft Community
Surface 2 will NOT Refresh properly - Microsoft Community
December 10th update wrecks my Surface - Microsoft Community

OP
S

stephenteh

Hi,
this error have a lot of users for some days. The MS Forum has a lot of posts with this error.

had this blue screen too.

I made a USB Recovery Stick and installed that again.

1. Shut Off Sureface

2. Input USB Stick

3. Press Volume Down and hold it

4. Shut On Surface (holding Volume Down)

5. When FUrface logo appears, release Volume DOwn)

Then Troubleshooting -> Recovery -> Full Recovery

After that i hadnt a blue screen with PAGE FAULT anymore.

BUT: You will still have old NVIDIA Drivers of August. This is the error all users have after Recovery. And all are waiting for a FIX.

See those postings on MS Forum:
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA Error Message - Now Frozen - Microsoft Community
Surface 2 will NOT Refresh properly - Microsoft Community
December 10th update wrecks my Surface - Microsoft Community

Hi Daniel,

How do you create the recovery USB? Do you download the recovery image from Microsoft or create it in Surface 2?

Thanks,

Stephen

kristalsoldier

Just out of curiosity guys, when did you buy your Surface 2 devices? Did you buy them when it was launched (or thereabouts) or were they more recent purchases?

kundas1

Mine was a more recent purchase, I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue and not a hardware issue. Which is why I am waiting before I send it in for repair.

OP
S

stephenteh

Just out of curiosity guys, when did you buy your Surface 2 devices? Did you buy them when it was launched (or thereabouts) or were they more recent purchases?

I bought it recently before Christmas. Yeah I think it's a software issue not hardware but still prefer not to see that bsod and the refresh/reset can complete properly.

ctitanic

Hi,

My Surface 2 BSOD at the end of the full refresh but it seem to be ok after I restart the device (pressed and hold the power button until it the screen turn off). I think this is a software issue instead of hardware. Anyone having this issue?

Thanks,

Stephen

Yes, it's a software issue, MS knows about it and they are investigating the issue according to what I have seen in MS forum.