What's new

Surface 2 complete image

gwinegarden

I am trying to understand why Microsoft does not give us the ability to create a complete backup image on USB and use it tonrecover. After all the S2 is only 32 or 64 GB and an image would fit on an inexpensive key.

After my adventure, today, when my S2 pooched, I really see the advantage of an image.

oion

Well, the factory image is already 8.1, and you'd need the other patches in between--but you'd need that regardless unless you intend to create a new backup image after every single update, which seems impractical.

On the Surface with Windows RT, MS is pushing for SkyDrive integration (all your apps and settings are automatically backed up online) and File History (local personal files). It's still possible to create a system image backup for the Pro, and I'm guessing that's to cover for all the x86 software people would install.

So basically after a factory reset (or using the USB recovery media you should've created immediately upon getting the Surface ;)), you're asked during setup whether to log into an existing MS Account, and your apps and settings are synced. Then the patching...

kristalsoldier

Well, the factory image is already 8.1, and you'd need the other patches in between--but you'd need that regardless unless you intend to create a new backup image after every single update, which seems impractical.

On the Surface with Windows RT, MS is pushing for SkyDrive integration (all your apps and settings are automatically backed up online) and File History (local personal files). It's still possible to create a system image backup for the Pro, and I'm guessing that's to cover for all the x86 software people would install.

So basically after a factory reset (or using the USB recovery media you should've created immediately upon getting the Surface ;)), you're asked during setup whether to log into an existing MS Account, and your apps and settings are synced. Then the patching...

Technically, this recovery drive can be made at anytime right? And, would a 8GB USB drive work for the Surface RT/2?

Last edited:

oion

Technically, this recovery drive can be made at anytime right? And, would a 8GB USB drive work for the Surface RT/2?

Yes, it can certainly be done anytime. I usually point out to new users that making the recovery drive is the first step because that's usually a step that people skip/forget/don't know about. 8GB is fine for Surface RT/2. I have a 4GB USB flash drive and the Surface 2 recovery image takes up 3.81 GB.

kristalsoldier

Yes, it can certainly be done anytime. I usually point out to new users that making the recovery drive is the first step because that's usually a step that people skip/forget/don't know about. 8GB is fine for Surface RT/2. I have a 4GB USB flash drive and the Surface 2 recovery image takes up 3.81 GB.

Thanks. I should have done this earlier...oh well! Better late than never!

OP
gwinegarden

gwinegarden

True, but recovery is still a pain, and you lose any app related data. It took me quite a while to recover everything and I am still discovering things that need to be done. Most of my apps show on the start screen but need to be reinstalled, etc. And, some Microsoft stuff is buggy, eg Microsoft Solitaire insists that imam not signed on but refuses to sign me on. All existing signons for non-Microsoft apps are gone, etc.

File history might have helped, but I lost it when my system crashed.

So, I think the recovery process still needs some work.