What's new

Surface 2 Cover Chipping...boo

hypokondriak

I was hoping the new lighter coating might be better than the coating on my Pro 1, but unfortunately it still chips too. In fact i managed to chip it even faster and worse than what I experienced with my Pro 1. So be careful out there.....

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

oion

But the Surface 2 doesn't have the VaporMg coating. The silver chassis is naked magnesium, I thought. So what chipping are you seeing? (You don't actualy mean "cover," I guess.) Pics?

thesmithiz

I was hoping the new lighter coating might be better than the coating on my Pro 1, but unfortunately it still chips too. In fact i managed to chip it even faster and worse than what I experienced with my Pro 1. So be careful out there.....

mine is doing this too, in the upper right corner - near the power button.

oion

mine is doing this too, in the upper right corner - near the power button.

Interesting. I'm under the impression that the Surface 2 panel around the power button is actually plastic--it doesn't feel cool like the rest of the magnesium chassis. Unless you're talking about an area next to that power button panel thing. I see nothing out of the ordinary around my USB and power ports, where the most wear might be, so knock on wood...

OP
H

hypokondriak

I too read in many places the coating was naked Vapor Mg, but this is indeed false. There is a coating, and there is a darker surface below. I can see it as well as feel it in the 2 places my rear coating has chipped. Sorry for the angled shot, but wanted to make sure I got a bit of the Surface logo showing for authenticity sake.

20131105_160412.jpg

oion

Ohhh, I see. Well, that's a shame. :( MS really should just get rid of the whole coating business --the dark grey magnesium underneath isn't bad. If it's about a fingerprint-resistant coating, then maybe texturing the chassis itself is better... I think that's how all the aluminum devices do it.

OP
H

hypokondriak

Ohhh, I see. Well, that's a shame. :( MS really should just get rid of the whole coating business --the dark grey magnesium underneath isn't bad. If it's about a fingerprint-resistant coating, then maybe texturing the chassis itself is better... I think that's how all the aluminum devices do it.

Yeah this chips easier than my other aluminum devices scratch. I have babied this thing the fact that I have 2 chips already stinks.

beman39

ok I'm not trying to be an a**hole but there is no way in hell your babying that and your getting a chip! I drop my Surface from the height of just past my knees but below the waist and it didn't chip or dent or even scratch and this was on a tiled ceramic floor! so now you have 2 different devices that are chipping, sounds really fishy to me... :confused:

oion

Or just bad luck.

The Surface 2 is the first MS product to have this silver coating, and the VaporMg flaking has a well-known manufacturing defect in 1st gen (shouldn't be happening in Pro 2, yet apparently there are reports of that). It wouldn't surprise me if there's a coating defect in some Surface 2 units now, that is. Fortunately, mine is still pristine.

Last edited:

thesmithiz

ok I'm not trying to be an a**hole but there is no way in hell your babying that and your getting a chip! I drop my Surface from the height of just past my knees but below the waist and it didn't chip or dent or even scratch and this was on a tiled ceramic floor! so now you have 2 different devices that are chipping, sounds really fishy to me... :confused:
mine has never been close to being dropped or knocked into anything. Since I bought it its pretty much gone from my desk to my lap and back again.

OP
H

hypokondriak

Honestly I do not care if you believe me and how I treat my devices or not. It would be impossible to prove, and all I have to fall back on is my post history here where I've tried to be as frank as possible.

I could easily get a replacement device from Microsoft, but I'm not even worried about that. All I aim to accomplish here is A) warn people there is indeed a coating that can chip on the Surface 2, and B) share that it happened to my new Surface 2 just as easy as it did with the Surface Pro 1...which was a known defect.

So if you think I'm a liar that's of little consequence to me. To quote Brick Top - "if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not."