What's new

Surface 2 Cover Chipping...boo

oion

The downside is, unless this becomes reported from multiple sources as a bit more widespread deserving of attention (however much that might be), MS won't be pressured to replace a cosmetic flaking compared to the known VaporMg issues in first gen. And that's only in-store.

Even only a few years ago, the fault margin was around 20% for laptop computers*. Who knows what it's at now and how tablets compare, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it's about the same.

borka105

I have a slight chip in the top right corner and it came this way out of the box. It is so small that I am ignoring it for now, but may look to return it before the 45 day return policy ends.

The QC for this device is not what it should be. To the point made earlier, they should not have painted this thing, but left it the natural color/texture

EMINENT

Top right corner of mine by the power button is also chipping or eroded down to the bare metal of mine. This one is going back. Damn shame that this is happening on a 2 week old device. No drops scrapes hits or anything.

OP
H

hypokondriak

Top right corner of mine by the power button is also chipping or eroded down to the bare metal of mine. This one is going back. Damn shame that this is happening on a 2 week old device. No drops scrapes hits or anything.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with problems. Please let me know what Microsoft says about this.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

CynanX

Hi,

I currently have a case on mine SP2 to protect it. However I would much rather use it 'naked'. So I'm trying to figure out what's more important to me. Use.. or resale value. Then I thought if it does get scratched, and badly, maybe I could sand it down to the bare metal.

I've see online someone did this with an iPhone 5 and it looks pretty good... I realise most won't want to do that and they shouldn't have to, but it is an option and might even sell more as it's unique.

kundas1

If you're worried about scratches and chips but find a case cumbersome, then suggest getting a SKIN for your Surface its sleek and can have any funky design you want and offers protection...

Will22

Hi,

I currently have a case on mine SP2 to protect it. However I would much rather use it 'naked'. So I'm trying to figure out what's more important to me. Use.. or resale value. Then I thought if it does get scratched, and badly, maybe I could sand it down to the bare metal.

I've see online someone did this with an iPhone 5 and it looks pretty good... I realise most won't want to do that and they shouldn't have to, but it is an option and might even sell more as it's unique.

I polished the aluminium on my iPhone 4s a couple of years ago but as the iPhone is aluminium it was very easy to do, not so sure about the surface though.