What's new

Surface 2 Dead all around

polarium

So recently my Surface 2's touch screen/keyboard does not respond at all. It's now just like a big screen. The only response I got was the vibration when tapping the Windows logo and the volume - the rest does not work.

Is there any solutions to this? Or is there anyone facing the same thing?

What would be my best course of action now, throw this thing away? Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So recently my Surface 2's touch screen/keyboard does not respond at all. It's now just like a big screen. The only response I got was the vibration when tapping the Windows logo and the volume - the rest does not work.

Is there any solutions to this? Or is there anyone facing the same thing?

What would be my best course of action now, throw this thing away? Thanks.
Try holding the power button for a full 30 seconds to ensure it's OFF then release.
Wait a few seconds then power on.

OP
P

polarium

already tried that, with a hard and soft reset, a factory reset and a refresh, still to no avail. Basically tried out all the things Microsoft's web center asked for.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
already tried that, with a hard and soft reset, a factory reset and a refresh, still to no avail. Basically tried out all the things Microsoft's web center asked for.
Ok, just curious how did you manage to do a Reset or Refresh if the screen doesn't respond?

I guess you need a repair or replacement from MS.

OP
P

polarium

Well I used an on screen keyboard and luckily before this whole fiasco happened, I hooked my Arc Touch mouse by bluetooth, so I could still navigate around.

Well shoot and I'm going to the states at August and the trade-in ends until May 31st. Also I contacted MS support once, and they said they could repair it but require a fee of $200 (as the warranty is over).

macster

Put it in a zip lock bag and insert in into the icebox for about an hour or so and then try to start it up.

Yes, I'm serious.

M~

OP
P

polarium

Put it in a zip lock bag and insert in into the icebox for about an hour or so and then try to start it up.

Yes, I'm serious.

M~

If left overnight is it ok?
And what's the reason for it? Thanks

Though you were trolling, until you said you're serious.

macster

If left overnight is it ok?
And what's the reason for it? Thanks

Though you were trolling, until you said you're serious.

Basically

It's to allow it (everything) to cool down to the baseline operating temp. Putting in the ice box gets it down to operating temp faster. If you put in the freezer, also it will cool down faster, there is the chance you might forget about it. All things consider, it will just get "cold" in the refrigerator vice being frozen in the freezer.

Try it for an hour, that should be enough.

It's basically checking for an overheated component. If it works you still won't know which component it is, but it narrows the list down to a few suspects. Also, it should buy you time to transfer your files to One drive or something else. Anyway, it's cheap to do.

M~

OP
P

polarium

Basically

It's to allow it (everything) to cool down to the baseline operating temp. Putting in the ice box gets it down to operating temp faster. If you put in the freezer, also it will cool down faster, there is the chance you might forget about it. All things consider, it will just get "cold" in the refrigerator vice being frozen in the freezer.

Try it for an hour, that should be enough.

It's basically checking for an overheated component. If it works you still won't know which component it is, but it narrows the list down to a few suspects. Also, it should buy you time to transfer your files to One drive or something else. Anyway, it's cheap to do.

M~
Is using a plastic wrap ok? Or must it be in an air right space?

macster

Is using a plastic wrap ok? Or must it be in an air right space?
The plastic wrap should be fine. It will act as a barrier to keep any "air" from getting into the device and also to protect it from condensation, etc. It's only going to be in there for an hour or so. That should be enough time to cool down whatever component that may have overheated.

M~

OP
P

polarium

The plastic wrap should be fine. It will act as a barrier to keep any "air" from getting into the device and also to protect it from condensation, etc. It's only going to be in there for an hour or so. That should be enough time to cool down whatever component that may have overheated.

M~
I don't know what you did here, but this is black magic. How the.

Will this state of touchable-ness stay or do I need to chill it again in the future?

And lastly, thanks a lot! Now I can use it as a tablet again.

The keyboard is still dead though.. :(

macster

I'm glad to hear that it worked. No magic, involved it simply overheated and needed to cool down, Putting it in the refrigerator does two things, it stops us from "messing with it" and it allows it time to cool down to normal. I've only had to do this once.

I haven't had any keyboard problems. But a few suggestions, make sure that the contacts on the bottom of the Surface are clean and also the ones on the keyboard, After that check your settings in your control panel, you may need to reset things.

M~