What's new

Surface 2 envy

mtalinm

So my kid bought the Surface 2 to replace his laptop. Holy cow am I envious! It makes my Surface Pro 2 look morbidly obese. I set up an account on his device so I can use it when he's not looking.

If I didn't need to use Stata (a statistical analysis package), I would switch in a heartbeat!

oion

Why would you set up an acct. when you could have just logged in?

Because the device belongs to his son?

That's the nice thing about Windows RT/full devices: Multiple user accounts, don't mess with each other's settings, apps, and data.

wardo5757

So my kid bought the Surface 2 to replace his laptop. Holy cow am I envious! It makes my Surface Pro 2 look morbidly obese. I set up an account on his device so I can use it when he's not looking.

If I didn't need to use Stata (a statistical analysis package), I would switch in a heartbeat!
I agree, the form factor is AWESOME! The OS is very limited though, you can't even do something as basic as share a folder on your home network. But when you consider what's inside of the Pro, it still amazes me how thin and small they are.

oion

I agree, the form factor is AWESOME! The OS is very limited though, you can't even do something as basic as share a folder on your home network. But when you consider what's inside of the Pro, it still amazes me how thin and small they are.

That's why there's SkyDrive, I guess...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
File Sharing is a risk and RT is all about risk mitigation, it should be viewed more as a compute appliance that has more flexibility than its competitors, iOS and Android. It is purely a client designed to just work. Also any who buy the Surface 2 gets 200GB of SkyDrive storage for 2 years which offers a much more flexible solution than Home Network file sharing.

wardo5757

File Sharing is a risk and RT is all about risk mitigation, it should be viewed more as a compute appliance that has more flexibility than its competitors, iOS and Android. It is purely a client designed to just work. Also any who buy the Surface 2 gets 200GB of SkyDrive storage for 2 years which offers a much more flexible solution than Home Network file sharing.[/QUOTE
Don't get me wrong, I like the surfaceRT, I have one and a Pro. But it's a stand alone device which makes it very limited, yet it's still leaps and bounds beyond anything else in the class, if you think the Ipad is in the same class.... I did forget about the 200gb offering, that is ultra sweet! But still cannot take the place of file and resource sharing on a network, not even close...

OP
M

mtalinm

File Sharing is a risk and RT is all about risk mitigation, it should be viewed more as a compute appliance that has more flexibility than its competitors, iOS and Android. It is purely a client designed to just work. Also any who buy the Surface 2 gets 200GB of SkyDrive storage for 2 years which offers a much more flexible solution than Home Network file sharing.

Um, I took the 200G certificate from my kid/s computer and plan to apply it to my own SkyDrive account. Can't wait to have 400G of storage :)

D

Deleted member 10837

I will gladly accept the extra 0.5 pounds of the Pro for ultrabook specs. I view metro apps as a novelty; something that augment standard desktop usage with reduced features and/or functionality.

* Offer terms: Valid for original purchasers of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 only. Valid for 200GB of SkyDrive storage for 2 years from redemption. Offer code must be redeemed within 90 days from original purchase, and no later than 31 December 2014. Internet access fees may apply. Limit: One offer code per purchase of qualifying Surface device and per Microsoft account. Not redeemable for cash or gift cards. Single use only. Not packaged for individual resale.