What's new

surface 2 led backlight issue?

OP
T

troykm

so is it anything higher than 35% screen brightness that this happens to? cuzz I have it set to 45% and quit comfortable even in a dark room and I don't have this problem....

yeah its not just the surface, any backlit display at close range (around 1 meter or less) gives me headaches if too bright.

oion

so is it anything higher than 35% screen brightness that this happens to? cuzz I have it set to 45% and quit comfortable even in a dark room and I don't have this problem....

Lower than ~35%.

yeah its not just the surface, any backlit display at close range (around 1 meter or less) gives me headaches if too bright.

As for your particular situation, I do sympathise since I get migraines, but I expect most users won't notice and will be above the 20% mark (there's always ambient lighting when I use my Surface, so anything darker wouldn't be legible). As it seems other users have noticed this since Surface RT, there's no way to tell when a fix will be forthcoming. Have you thought about screen protectors? Some will make the screen darker, especially the privacy ones.

EMINENT

Confirmed that this is happening with auto brightness off and set for less than 35 or 30% throughout the os. I know this because it's set for the darkest setting in my room for battery and because it's dark. My Surface Pro doesn't do this and it has auto on.
It's noticeable in all apps and start screen too where there is scrolling.