What's new

Solved Surface 2 not charging

Hobbit55

My new surface 2 64GB arrived yesterday and when I started setting it up there was a message stating "no battery detected". Tried looking online for answers and had a support tech phone me. We have uninstalled the battery in device manager, scanned for hardware changes, and done a complete reset. The battery icon now states "0% available, not charging" even after hours being plugged in. How can I fix this?

OP
H

Hobbit55

Hi again. I tried the link you gave me but no luck. Spent more time today with the tech help but they ended up telling me to send it back and they will replace it with a new one. I will see how that goes. I hope it works as I really like the tablet.

starkiller_joe

My new surface 2 64GB arrived yesterday and when I started setting it up there was a message stating "no battery detected". Tried looking online for answers and had a support tech phone me. We have uninstalled the battery in device manager, scanned for hardware changes, and done a complete reset. The battery icon now states "0% available, not charging" even after hours being plugged in. How can I fix this?

Experiencing the same problem with my new surface 2 unit. Sent back to the shop and they told me to wait for 1 week or so for repair.

Why don't replace with new unit? They said Microsoft policy. Anybody can confirm this?

OP
H

Hobbit55

I bought mine from the online store and they told me they are giving me a new replacement tablet. I think the policy is probably repair or replace at their discretion.
I am going to keep this thread open until I receive the replacement tablet and will post the results of my efforts. I am hopeful that it will allbe good as I like the feel of the tablet.

Last edited:

Jon Garrett

Same with me, got mine today. Does not charge. WTF !!! Did everything from the help site !! Why would it not charge the battery, even the most basic phone can do this.....any help?

OP
H

Hobbit55

I finally had the online tech phone a Microsoft store in a nearby town and arrange for me to get it exchanged and to get the new one up and running. When I got there it took them about 2 minutes to figure out it was the charger, not the tablet, that was the problem. Even though the charger lit up when connected to the tablet, it would not charge and a battery would not be detected. If you can, go to a Microsoft store and get them to check that out for you. They replaced my charger and the tablet works great now with no problems at all.

airwolfmanila

Same problem with mine - "plugged in, not charging." Spent the whole night last night and this morning doing measures recommended online. What worked finally for me was to unplug the charger, press and hold volume + and power button for five minutes. After I plugged back, voilà, it said "plugged in, charging." Almost didn't notice that the NOT disappeared and it was already charging.

Now doing the updates. Five hours in, not yet done. It took a painfully long time as well to update my RT when I got it last May, so I'm not surprised. Just stoked that the not charging issue was resolved. [emoji3]

OP
H

Hobbit55

Same problem with mine - "plugged in, not charging." Spent the whole night last night and this morning doing measures recommended online. What worked finally for me was to unplug the charger, press and hold volume + and power button for five minutes. After I plugged back, voilà, it said "plugged in, charging." Almost didn't notice that the NOT disappeared and it was already charging.

Now doing the updates. Five hours in, not yet done. It took a painfully long time as well to update my RT when I got it last May, so I'm not surprised. Just stoked that the not charging issue was resolved. [emoji3]
Glad to hear you got yours up and running. Hopefully Microsoft will keep track of these fixes and add them to their procedures. I really think that if a tablet has to be returned for exchange they really should have us send the charger back as well. That would have saved me a lot of grief as the problem ended up being the charger and not the tablet.

airwolfmanila

I initially suspected a faulty charger as well so what I did was to use my rt charger since I still have my rt. Issue was still there, so I was sure my surface 2 charger wasn't the issue.

You are correct that Microsoft should be including the five minute pressing of vol+ and power button as a recommended countermeasure. I only found one reference to it on Bing. Didn't even find it on a Google search. Was ready to pack the damn thing and send it back until I saw that recommendation through Bing. Glad I did.
[emoji3]

millertime_1985

but i'm guessing that your S2 was actually holding some sort of charge... my newly delivered S2 wont even work unless the power cable is attached, so i can't see how the 5 minute volume/power trick would work in my situation.

Whole thing is a pain in the arse, when i tried to seek help from MSFT on Saturday, the live chst option wasn't available, which left me with the phone service option... only to get put through to a german, who by his own admission didn't understand english well. So need to try again on monday. As like so many of you, i've tried all the suggested solutions from MSFT.

P00r

I had this issue when I first plugged in my surface 2,
the charger was not even trying to charge (it was cold!)As I already have a surface pro (I won the surface 2 in a draw). I tried plugging it on my surface pro charger and it did start charging!

I believe the charger of the surface 2 is not powerful enough to charge a fully discharged battery (fully discharged should mean 30% or so on a LIPO).

I suspect that MS has played with the battery charge curve to allow for higher discharge than what it should (to extend battery life...), the battery then need much more amps to charge...

Since then the battery is behaving normally, I usually do not discharge fully my toy but it did ran from 100 to 40% without issue on the original charger...

I then proceed to install like 250 system update woo!