What's new

Surface 2 Official Specs

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was at the event as a guest of Microsoft to talk to the Press and Analysts. I spent 2 days with the team including Panos Panay and was able to talk to some of the Engineering Team. Stevie the guy who created the Touch and Type Covers as well as the Remix Blade is awesome!!!

Official Specs for Surface 2:

Specs
Operating system Windows RT 8.1 with Microsoft Office 2013 RT versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store.
Exterior 10.81” x 6.79” x 0.35”
Less than 1.49 lbs
VaporMg
Magnesium (Silver)
Volume up/down and power buttons
Storage 32 GB; 64 GB1
Display 10.6" ClearType Full HD display
1920 x 1080p
16:9 (widescreen)
5-point multitouch
CPU NVIDIA Tegra 4 (T40) 1.7GHz quad core
2 GB of RAM
Wireless Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology
Battery Up to 10 hours of video playback
7–15 days idle life
Cameras and A/V 3.5MP front-facing camera
5MP rear-facing camera
1080p video capture
Stereo speakers (digitally enhanced for fuller sound)
Two microphones (with noise cancellation)
Ports Full-size USB 3.0
MicroSDXC card reader
Headset jack
HD video out port
Cover port
Sensors Ambient light sensor
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Power supply 24W power supply
Warranty One-year limited hardware warranty
Apps (included) Mail, Calendar, People, Internet Explorer 11, Photos, Music, Video, Games, Skype, Fresh Paint, Calculator, Reading List, Reader, Scan, News, Weather, Sports, Travel, Finance, Health & Fitness, Food & Drink, Help, Camera, SkyDrive, Sound Recorder and more

Value-added services
To help people get the most out of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, customers purchasing either device will receive free Skype calling to landlines in more than 60 countries for one year, unlimited Skype WiFi on their Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 at more than 2 million hot spots worldwide for one year, and 200 GB of free SkyDrive storage for two years.

New Accessories
Today’s announcement also includes seven new accessories that will make Surface even more flexible, more portable and more productive:
• Touch Cover 2. Thinner and lighter than the original Touch Cover, measuring only 2.75 mm thin, Touch Cover 2 features backlit keys for even better readability. Touch Cover 2 is more rigid, registers keystrokes with greater accuracy and features updated sensors that support a variety of gestures across the entire keyboard. Touch Cover 2 has an estimated retail price of $119.99. It will be available for pre-order on Sept. 24 in all markets where Surface devices are available for pre-order.

• Type Cover 2. Type Cover 2 features the same super-thin, lightweight design of the original Type Cover, but it’s now backlit and will be available in Cyan, Magenta, Purple and Black in the coming months. It’s also more rigid, providing a better lap-typing experience, and is designed to be noticeably quieter when striking keys. Type Cover 2 will have an estimated retail price of $129.99. It will be available for pre-order on Sept. 24 in all markets where Surface devices are available for pre-order.3

• Power Cover. Power Cover delivers the same great typing experience you get with Type Cover while extending the battery life of your Surface 2, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 by up to 50 percent to help you make it through that late-night meeting or the entire flight. Power Cover will have an estimated retail price of $199.99 and has a projected release date of early 2014.

• Docking Station for Surface Pro. The Docking Station for Surface Pro lets you quickly connect Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 to desktop PC peripherals in a single step, taking you from laptop to desktop in an instant. While Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 is docked, it can connect with an external monitor, Ethernet, speakers and power supply. PC peripherals connect via its one USB 3.0 port and three USB 2.0 ports. The Docking Station for Surface Pro will have an estimated retail price of $199.99 and has a projected release date of early 2014.

• Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers. The Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers connects magnetically to any Touch or Type Cover, letting you type from anywhere in the room using Bluetooth technology, so it is even easier to connect Surface to a TV or monitor4 and type from another location, such as the couch. Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers will have an estimated retail price of $59.99. It will be available for pre-order in the U.S. and Canada beginning Sept. 24.

• Car Charger with USB. Car Charger plugs into most cars’ power or lighter ports and charges Surface without the need for an additional adapter. It also features a USB port to allow simultaneous charging of a phone or other device. Car Charger will have an estimated retail price of $49.99 and has a projected release date of early 2014.

• Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition. This special-edition Arc Touch Mouse has been updated to match the look of Surface. Like other Arc Touch mice, it is designed for comfort and flattens for portability. It connects via Bluetooth 3.0, freeing Surface’s USB port for use by other devices. Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition will have an estimated retail price of $69.99 and will be available for pre-order in the U.S. and Canada on Sept. 24. Distribution in additional markets is projected to begin in the coming months.

mitchellvii

How will Surface 2 compete with Bay Trail hybrids coming down the pipeline at the same pricepoint running full Windows? Also, the obvious target market for the Surface 2 is students, but MS got cheap and left out the pen? Geesh, c'mon MS, you keep fumbling on the one yard line.

demandarin

active capacitive pen capabilities is already present in tegra4. its just not enabled yet on the surface 2. software update could do this and theres a strong possibility this will occur. just you tube tegra note tablet and you will see how it works

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How will Surface 2 compete with Bay Trail hybrids coming down the pipeline at the same pricepoint running full Windows? Also, the obvious target market for the Surface 2 is students, but MS got cheap and left out the pen? Geesh, c'mon MS, you keep fumbling on the one yard line.

I've tested Bay Trail Atom machines and the Surface 2 is much faster in both Office and Modern UI. I was talking to students at the event who use Gen 1 devices daily and the Econ Major had a Pro, the Applied Engineering Student uses RT and types all her notes and the others did as well.

The Surface Team when interviewing/usability students found most typed their notes even on ARM Tablets that included the Pen (Galaxy Note).

MickeyLittle

I know that the Surface 2 isn't coming with the stylus that the Pro is coming with but I have 2 questions since I am an avid writer of some sorts.

1) Does the Surface 2's screen allow for use of say a wacom digitized stylus? In other words, could I take the stylus from the Surface Pro and use it on the Surface 2

2) If the answer to #1 is a yes then on One Note that is included with Office 2013 RT version will we have the ability to write or will it be like the current One Note from the store that only seems to allow keyboard entry?

Thanks.

olimjj

I know that the Surface 2 isn't coming with the stylus that the Pro is coming with but I have 2 questions since I am an avid writer of some sorts.

1) Does the Surface 2's screen allow for use of say a wacom digitized stylus? In other words, could I take the stylus from the Surface Pro and use it on the Surface 2

2) If the answer to #1 is a yes then on One Note that is included with Office 2013 RT version will we have the ability to write or will it be like the current One Note from the store that only seems to allow keyboard entry?

Thanks.

According to the Microsoft Store the Pen, as an accessory, is for the Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 only. However I would speak to Microsoft Rep to get a definitive answer.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks.

1. No....there isn't an Active Digitizer on the Surface 2
2. You can ink in OneNote RT, I use a Adonis Jot Pro for inking in RT.

MickeyLittle

1. No....there isn't an Active Digitizer on the Surface 2
2. You can ink in OneNote RT, I use a Adonis Jot Pro for inking in RT.
Thanks very much for this information. Now I know the answer to my dilemma and I will go with the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. I know it's Android but I had narrowed my tablet search to these 2 models.

For reference I own the current Note 10.1 & just sold my Surface Pro on ebay 10 days ago. So the digitizer pushes the Samsung over the top for my needs.
Thanks again!

Sandbo

Some horrible tech spec on the official website:
Microsoft Store Canada Online Store

Recently I have consulted some of their sales about the microSD card reader built-in on surface 2 as I found it weird on their web.
If you have read the comparison tech spec between Surface 2 and Pro 2, you may find the reader as microSD vs microSDXC.

Regarding this I tried to ask their sales, and after he/she asked some engineers I got the reply that the reader on Surface 2 is the same thing as in RT, that is I can use SDXC up to 64GB.
However, I see the microSD being mentioned, this time deliberately on their website given above:
Tons of Ports
Bring your entire media collection with you wherever you go. A microSD card reader lets you add up to 2 GB of extra storage. Show off everything on the big screen using the video out port. A full-size USB 3.0 port and Bluetooth 4.0 provide clutter-free connections with wireless mice and headsets.

Yes according to SD's standard, it is 2GB for SD, 32GB for SDHC, 64GB+ for SDXC.
And MS here notes clearly that Surface 2 supports only 2GB! OMG can anyone really confirm this?

So I did it on my own and have to make a new topic.

Last edited:

demandarin

I answered on your thread. I'll chop it up to a typo on MS end. Just look up Toms Hardware site where they took one apart. I think they mention the 64gb micro card support there. Also check anandtech of you want more confirmation that what you saw on the site wasn't true.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Some horrible tech spec on the official website:
Microsoft Store Canada Online Store

Recently I have consulted some of their sales about the microSD card reader built-in on surface 2 as I found it weird on their web.
If you have read the comparison tech spec between Surface 2 and Pro 2, you may find the reader as microSD vs microSDXC.

Regarding this I tried to ask their sales, and after he/she asked some engineers I got the reply that the reader on Surface 2 is the same thing as in RT, that is I can use SDXC up to 64GB.
However, I see the microSD being mentioned, this time deliberately on their website given above:

Yes according to SD's standard, it is 2GB for SD, 32GB for SDHC, 64GB+ for SDXC.
And MS here notes clearly that Surface 2 supports only 2GB! OMG can anyone really confirm this?

So I did it on my own and have to make a new topic.

Its a Typo....I'm sending an email to the Surface Team now...