What's new

Surface 2 Poor battery life

I just bought a brand new Surface 2. I have been experiencing really poor battery life. The battery drains in just 3-4 hours from basic web-browsing and watching videos. I have installed all Windows updates. The Touch Cover is plugged in 100% of time.

From powercfg/sleepstudy i can see that an "Unregistered Device SE" is the main problem and it is 100% active. I have encountered many threads with this problem but many of them were really old and no real solution was there. I'm really new in using Windows 8.1 RT so any help would be appreciated.
I'm more than happy to give more information of situation if needed.

TheNeighbor

Give it a few battery cycles of use, and that will optimize it to some 6 to 8 hours of battery usage.

I get some 7 hours + of regular use on one charge, with wifi connected, doing browsing and/or Office programs. I usually leave my charger behind for the day.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something is misbehaving, it appears from other posts doing a Refresh may fix it but not guaranteed.

What apps have you installed?

Have you been using OneNote??? I noticed once an issue with OneNote trying to sync with OneDrive causing battery drain but I don't recall how it appeared. You might try watching for activity with Task Manager and Resource Monitor in particular.

Last edited:
OP
J

Juho Kangasperko

Something is misbehaving, it appears from other posts doing a Refresh may fix it but not guaranteed.

What apps have you installed?

Have you been using OneNote??? I noticed once an issue with OneNote trying to sync with OneDrive causing battery drain but I don't recall how it appeared. You might try watching for activity with Task Manager and Resource Monitor in particular.

I'm not using OneNote, I did the reset once and the "Unregistered Device SE" appeared again after installing all updates.

abcefg

I have had this issue with over 2 devices.

I think that some firmware update made it behave a bit strange.