What's new

Surface 2 Power Charging??

rubaxter

(Sorry about the duplicate thread; didn't see the other one until it was too late)

After on the charger for all night (7 to 8 hours) the taskbar icon got a "97% available (plugged in and not charging)" messages on the task bar which swaps in and out with "97% available (plugged in and charging)" that never seems to get above 97%. The battery icon also sporadically cycles from empty up to full and back.

Been using both a Surface 2 charger and Pro 2 charger.

Anyone else notice something wonky with this indication.

I bought the Surface 2 for the battery life, and this is a little worrying...

Last edited:
(Sorry about the duplicate thread; didn't see the other one until it was too late)

After on the charger for all night (7 to 8 hours) the taskbar icon got a "97% available (plugged in and not charging)" messages on the task bar which swaps in and out with "97% available (plugged in and charging)" that never seems to get above 97%. The battery icon also sporadically cycles from empty up to full and back.

Been using both a Surface 2 charger and Pro 2 charger.

Anyone else notice something wonky with this indication.

I bought the Surface 2 for the battery life, and this is a little worrying...

Mine only charges to 99 percent than says not charging. Don't know what the problem is.

demandarin

Nothing to worry about. As these devices just released. So it will take a few cull charge cycles for it to properly calibrate for best battery life. Plus if you didn't know already, the battery reporting from battery icon can fluctuate greatly. If its not showing 100%, try unplugging charger then plugging back in. TNT might top it off. Or just use battery down till time to recharge again. But it will need a at least a few full charge cycles to properly calibrate.

kristalsoldier

What demandarin says is probably correct. Though I will say that the Surface 2 I bought today had a somewhat of a low charge when I began setting it up. I connected the charger to it (which incidentally was the one from the 1st Gen RT) and charged up the S2. I remembered this thread while it was charging so I kept an eye open for this - I note that my S2 is fully charged and it is at 100%.

OP
rubaxter

rubaxter

All Feedback Appreciated

What demandarin says is probably correct. Though I will say that the Surface 2 I bought today had a somewhat of a low charge when I began setting it up. I connected the charger to it (which incidentally was the one from the 1st Gen RT) and charged up the S2. I remembered this thread while it was charging so I kept an eye open for this - I note that my S2 is fully charged and it is at 100%.

Thanks for the replies from you all!

Gonna give it a week or so as it also seems to be dropping a little faster than the old RT did with the same short spells of use over the last few days.

Sonny Z

I have a surface pro 2.5GHz windows 10 with 2 charging issues

Issue 1) charger will light up for a few seconds then stop charging:

Cause: AC cord from wall to brick, I'm in the Philippines and I don't want to pay for shipping, cheaper to make or buy a new one.

My Solution: I had to shave the plastic and rubber parts of the male plug that goes into the brick so its in deep.

Issue 2) Plugged in Not charging:

Cause: windows 10 auto update of drivers (even if disabled, no go, it will still update)

My Solution: (temporary, still looking for a better one)

Before every shutdown, uninstall battery and bluetooth drivers (device manager, put check on delete drivers) after shutdown, vol up + power button till it blinks twice(full shutdown), disconnect charger (don't power-up right away).

Before power-up, reconnect charger and power on, on boot-up windows will auto install default drivers so the bluetooth and charger will work.

Once you go online new drivers will auto download and install and once restarted or shut, a full install will happen and you will again get the same issue. To avoid that I do the same said shutdown and power on procedures I formulated thru hours of trials and reading. Hoping a new update will finally resolve this.