What's new

surface 2 question

Jippo

Hello all,

2 days ago I bought myself a surface 2 32gb tablet which I was excited about but unfortunately have had a couple of little issues which have been resolved now which is good but now I'm just curious why I have used so much space in such a little time of owning it and only installing 4 apps ? Currently 11gb free out of a possible 25gb, does it seem right I wouldn't of thought the total hdd space would be 25gb as its 32gb tablet. Please explain if possible.

Oh also doing a disk clean up and its been 20mins so far and still hasn't finished, wouldn't think it would take that long to only remove about 280mb of space.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run Windows Update... check to see if you have updates pending. Once they are installed it should free up space. However, a 32gb unit starts with about 20gb free.

You could install an SD card. look for a Class 10 (32 or 64 GB) card with a speed rating of at least 30mb/s cards range in speed up to 90mb/s and price goes up with higher speed generally.

Here's a mid range 48mbps 32Gb Samsung for $18 on Amazon just for reference.

You could create a Recovery Drive on USB stick and remove the Recovery Partition BUT be sure not to lose it. Personally I think the SD card is the better option.

OP
J

Jippo

Run Windows Update... check to see if you have updates pending. Once they are installed it should free up space. However, a 32gb unit starts with about 20gb free.

You could install an SD card. look for a Class 10 (32 or 64 GB) card with a speed rating of at least 30mb/s cards range in speed up to 90mb/s and price goes up with higher speed generally.

Here's a mid range 48mbps 32Gb Samsung for $18 on Amazon just for reference.

You could create a Recovery Drive on USB stick and remove the Recovery Partition BUT be sure not to lose it. Personally I think the SD card is the better option.

Thank you for that information, I was thinking about going to get a SD card but thought well being a tablet with apps it should be too bad like with my iPhone and misses iPad but I guess I thought wrong with storage knew I should of gone with 64gb but anyway. Just curious how much will the surface go with a SD card? Can it go further than 64gb?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for that information, I was thinking about going to get a SD card but thought well being a tablet with apps it should be too bad like with my iPhone and misses iPad but I guess I thought wrong with storage knew I should of gone with 64gb but anyway. Just curious how much will the surface go with a SD card? Can it go further than 64gb?
I believe for Surface 2 64gb is the max. there's the USB port too though and you can get really small USB micro drives that barely stick out of the port. most of these are currently USB 2.0 drives.