What's new

Surface 2 Reviews and videos

kristalsoldier

With the Touch 2 there are gestures for the Keyboard, they allow for selecting text, arrows and deleting whole sentences...the Type 2 has the full multitouch Trackpad, swiping from right or left, two finger right click and scrolling, zooming, etc.

Doesn't work for me when I pair it with the Surface RT!!!!! I am looking forward to this...I just don't know how to get it going. As I said, the Trackpad Settings app does not work and there are no instructions etc.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just tested it and it appears to only work on the Pro 2 and Surface 2....bummer sorry...

kristalsoldier

I just tested it and it appears to only work on the Pro 2 and Surface 2....bummer sorry...

Hmmm...I wonder why! There isn't anything special about the software between the two Surface (RT) devices, is there? If both run 8.1, there should not be a problem unless the original RT gets a firmware update down the road (i.e., in a couple of days, if we are lucky!).

MS should clarify this! Any chance you could ask about this through your channels?

OP
D

demandarin

Did you see the new Engadget update to their battery test for Surface 2? They got like 14hrs. And 22 minutes on a single charge on video loop with fixed brightness test...thwts amazing battery performance. I think ill get one this weekend..lol

R0bR

These reviews drive me nuts, keep saying that the problem with RT or Surface 2 is that you can't run legacy apps when it's designed that way. I see it as a design perk, I've never had such a simple Windows setup that requires absolutely no backup since everything is cloud sync'd. I could set my RT to factory default and with 8.1 I'll log back in with all my settings and apps are ready for me. The worst part about doing that with a full Windows install is having to reinstall and setup all those legacy apps and get your desktop working the way you want. Of course most people will get into image backups so that they don't have to do all that which is work on itself. If all you need is a consumption device, which seems to be quite a few consumers, then this is the best and easiest Windows version for your average consumer. The tech bloggers should be explaining THAT in their video reviews then present the option of the Pro for those that need more than consumption.

Hey...I just realized IE11 is now working with this site which is awesome. Now just need MS to fix the swipe back delays.

oion

Well, hot damn. 14 hours is pretty epic (Engadget video battery test, albeit locally looped).

Anyway, my quick unboxing comments (I'll post a much more in-depth review later):

I really like the Surface 2 case. The cool matte feel and definitely NOT a fingerprint magnet the way VaporMg is. If they had this sort of finish but a darker grey, that might get business more on-board (because business likes black for some reason--I swear all the execs at work have black Audis).

The Type 2 does feel nice despite the lost keystroke, probably because it's sensitive to "light touch" typing yet you still feel the key moving. It's definitely quieter than my PC keyboard (Enermax Crystal, 2.6 lbs solid aluminum scissor-key switch from 2006 :p). There is a dot on the Caps lock key that I kept trying to rub off--oops! No, that dot lights up when you have Caps lock on, nice little bonus. I do not, however, like how the blacklighting bleeds between the keys, though that might've been the point; I would've preferred only the letters to glow, but I'll look into brightness settings later. The non-felt feel is great, too; it's still very "soft touch" but not "cloth-y" like the original keyboards.

Setting up---I went with the custom settings instead of express settings, and saw that I could disable automatic updates for apps this way. I always wait a while to update because you never know if something will break unnecessarily. IE privacy settings are enabled by default. I also disabled Bing's web results in the Windows search (yuck) and "let MS use my search history" (no way), and disabled page prediction (again sending history to MS), disabled "let apps use my advertising ID across apps." But I did leave location request and malware info sharing on. Might turn the former off later.

Setup requested my phone app authenticator code after that step since I have authentication on my MS account. I decided to let my main login be the MS account login because I want to enable device encryption.

Ohh, lookit the new tile sizing--so much better. I'm letting it update now (firmware, etc.) before getting more into the various settings and downloading my previous apps and figuring out device encryption.

Edit to add:
@R0bR

Yes, I personally like a low-maintenance device as my backup/secondary since I have a gaming desktop. Having two full computers requiring equal maintenance would drive me nuts, not to mention I don't want to game or run everything on a secondary because that would be distracting for my purposes...

Noticed that the microSD slot on the Surface 2 is located much lower on the edge of the device instead of just under the hinge area. Easier to access.

Oh my god, the text is tiny. Um.

Last edited:
OP
D

demandarin

We need more details..haha..

On another note, I think I will be hitting up the makers of the moko rotary case soon. Its a great case but the seams are coming off. It supposedly has lifetime warranty. So I will see if they honor it.

By the looks of it based on initial impressions and reviews, I think I will get me a surface 2 this weekend.

Did you get a case or screen protector for it?

Oh I almost forgot. I wrote Lisa from mobile tech review asking when her new surface reviews are coming. She said the new Sirface2 one will be posted tonight. Its so cool how fast she responded. I love her reviews as they are real thorough.

Last edited:

oion

We need more details..haha..

On another note, I think I will be hitting up the makers of the moko rotary case soon. Its a great case but the seams are coming off. It supposedly has lifetime warranty. So I will see if they honor it.

By the looks of it based on initial impressions and reviews, I think I will get me a surface 2 this weekend.

Did you get a case or screen protector for it?

If Incipio had a Surface 2 Feather snap-in case, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I actually have a Surface RT decal--I'm not sure if it will fit since I noticed there are extra holes (camera sensors), but I can probably do a little surgery. Debating. I never use screen protectors, especially for Gorilla Glass. Love the glass feel.

Edit: The original Surface RT decals will not fit--besides wrong camera location (off by a few mm) and lacking a couple of the sensor holes, the fact that the Surface 2 case was made thinner probably changed the back area a bit so I think the original skins are a bit too big (I'm not 100% sure on that because I didn't actually try to put it on). Hmm, I suppose I'll return the skin; awful shame, I really like it.

Last edited: