What's new

Surface 2 running very hot

M_Taylor40

Hey everyone,

Had my Surface 2 for about 3 months now and I'm very happy with it.

However, over the past few days I've noticed that on the rear right side between the camera and USB port gets hot to the touch when simply browsing the web using IE11 ModernUI.

I've looked at the dismantle guides from iFixIt and it looks like the heat is coming from the CPU, which I would expect if I was gaming of stressing the CPU, but I'm generally just looking at Reddit, Surface Forums or a few other tech websites, nothing that should be that demanding.

I've used the snap feature to have the desktop running Task Manager to monitor CPU frequency while browsing and it stays around 1.5-1.7GHz so doesn't appear to be thermally throttling the device, but out of interest I thought I wonder if there's a CPU temp stat in the UEFI so I turned off the Surface and tried holding the Volume+ and pressing the Power button. Now my Surface 2 will not even power on.

I've left the device 10 minutes now and it still will not power on, the battery was at 13% when I shut down but I'm not even getting the battery low screen when pressing the power button, it's just dead.

Does anyone know what's going on and if it's a faulty unit?

If it is faulty, how to I get it replaced as I bought it direct from Microsofts UK store under a student deal. I go on holiday in 3 weeks as well and was really wanting to take the Surface 2 with me but how long will a replacement take?

This is pretty annoying as I finally ordered a Type Cover 2 on Sunday which will get delivered tomorrow!

Some good (unrelated) news though, I finally got a Nokia Lumia 930 today! It's taken them 3 months to ship the device since announcing it but I've finally got one!

Anyway, back to topic. Is there anyone that can offer advice or anything?

Thanks,

M_Taylor40

OP
M

M_Taylor40

Ok, quick update.

Finally managed to get it turned back on, used the old "hold the power button down for 15 seconds, connect to power and retry" trick which has got it booting again. Should have tried this sooner seeing as it's normally one of the first things I try when people say they cant turn on their PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone lol.

Surface was completely off for 20mins according to event viewer, and was obviously cold to the touch after that amount of time.

One thing I did notice was a warning event called "Kernel-Processor-Power (Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" that states "The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by firmware. The processor has been in this reduced state for 3 seconds since the last report", but that occurred about 45mins before I shut it down (Don't think it was hot at that time).

The event doesn't appear that often either, could it just be the firmware throttling the speed as there wasn't a huge processing demand, so throttle speed to save battery?

Is there any way of monitoring heat\throttling on the Surface 2 so I can keep an eye on this?

What do you guys think?

M_Taylor40