What's new

Surface 2 storage decreasing rapidly for no reason.!

Pneary90

I have only had my surface 2 for a few days and I have already encountered a problem with the storage space on the device. The storage is decreasing rapidly and nothing I have tried stops this from happening. I only have downloaded 3 apps so that isn't the issue. I have tried disk cleanup, deleting the downloads folder in software management, deleting the windows .old file, etc. pretty much anything the internet suggests I have tried. The storage space just keeps going down very quickly. I am considering bringing the device to the store to see what they can do. Can anybody help me with this issue?

kundas1

First off there shouldn't be an"old file" as you cannot upgrade the OS on the S2 which is how you get the "old file". Secondly you should try to remove the "restore partition" to the USB stick and that will save you or get you back 7GB of space on your HD. I had the S2 before upgrading to my SP3 and that's what I had to do myself. Also make sure your saving all you can to the micro SD card and that will help also... perhaps someone can chime in and give more suggestions too.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you set your OneDrive to sync your files? Or possibly for Xbox Music to Cloud Sync locally your music collection?

OP
P

Pneary90

First off there shouldn't be an"old file" as you cannot upgrade the OS on the S2 which is how you get the "old file". Secondly you should try to remove the "restore partition" to the USB stick and that will save you or get you back 7GB of space on your HD. I had the S2 before upgrading to my SP3 and that's what I had to do myself. Also make sure your saving all you can to the micro SD card and that will help also... perhaps someone can chime in and give more suggestions too.
Yes I already have done the recovery partition, but I only got back around 4g of storage. The main issue is that I use my surface for around 20 minutes just surfing the internet, and I check my storage and 1gb is gone. I am not doing anything out of the ordinary here, and the storage is decreasing like crazy. Thank you for the input, and you are right I was wrong about the old file thank you!

kundas1

Ok then maybe I remember reading on this forum and I bet jnjroach will probably know better, that all the photos are being stored in the TMP folder or something like that... so where ever you surf and there is photos ect ect are being stored on your S2..

OP
P

Pneary90

Ok then maybe I remember reading on this forum and I bet jnjroach will probably know better, that all the photos are being stored in the TMP folder or something like that... so where ever you surf and there is photos ect ect are being stored on your S2..
Actually I have just realized that all of my missing storage went back into that software distribution folder. Do you or jnjroach know why this happened?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Run Disk Clean Up and check the box to include System Files....

It looks like its your Windows Update Files...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I already have done the recovery partition, but I only got back around 4g of storage. The main issue is that I use my surface for around 20 minutes just surfing the internet, and I check my storage and 1gb is gone. I am not doing anything out of the ordinary here, and the storage is decreasing like crazy. Thank you for the input, and you are right I was wrong about the old file thank you!
Hmm I was going to say go through resetting it and restore :)

OP
P

Pneary90

Run Disk Clean Up and check the box to include System Files....

It looks like its your Windows Update Files...
I have tried that multiple times before, and it didn't seem to work. This all seems odd considering I've only had this surface 2 for the greater part of a week

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a pending Reboot from any Updates?

You may also consider doing a Reset from the Update and Recovery Settings...