What's new

Surface 2 to offer more rigid BACKLIT KEYBOARD?!

mitchellvii

Wow, maybe MS isn't a bunch of overpaid idiots afterall?

First among Bathiche's fixes is the new Touch Cover, barely distinguishable from the previous version externally, yet vastly different on the inside. What was basically one sensor per key, about 80 total, is now an array of 1,100 discrete sensors that can detect exactly how hard your finger is pressing and where it landed -- even if it landed between keys. This enables gestures and a new level of accuracy that the original Surface lacked. Along the way, his team added backlit keys and increased the rigidity of the typing surface. "We went from 80 sensors to 1,100, we added a light guide, and it's thinner. And it's stiffer. That's cool," Bathiche says.

kristalsoldier

Do you think these revised versions of the keyboards will be compatible with the previous generation of Surface devices?

beman39

I doubt it but that would be a brilliant move on MS's part cuzz I WOULD DEF. BUY ONE! just last nite in bed I was thinking they should make a lighted keyboard LOL OH! and keep it at the current price OR LESS of the keyboard now on sale.

minimojoman

As far as I know, all the accessories excluding the power cover will work for the originals. The power cover will only work for the original PRO, not the RT. But the keyboards should work just fine for both. Again, maybe I am wrong, but I would think they would work fine.

Omni

A great idea id never thought off. The new type covers look great in different colours as well!

kristalsoldier

I will definitely buy the backlit keyboard!! For sure, I will! It would be a godsend on flights/ while traveling! I may just hold off upgrading to the Surface 2 this time around - have spent too much money over the last 6 months on gadgets - iPad, Win 8 Phone, desktop!!!! I've really got to stop this madness!

Omni

I will definitely buy the backlit keyboard!! For sure, I will! It would be a godsend on flights/ while traveling! I may just hold off upgrading to the Surface 2 this time around - have spent too much money over the last 6 months on gadgets - iPad, Win 8 Phone, desktop!!!! I've really got to stop this madness!

I was thinking that. Too many great gadgets to buy!

souldier

I love the new keyboard options, but I feel that these covers could never replace the ease of use and productivity of a full keyboard you find on ultrabooks these days. They are however certainly better than using the on screen keyboard that many people do with their android/ios tablets

beman39

btw that dock looks awesome if those are nice speakers on the side..if they aren't then that looks way to big lol

RH5

do you guys think it would be worth it to return my rt (still in 2 weeks return policy at futureshop) and pay an extra $100 for the new one. I know they say its faster and stuff but im fine with the rt. would the new tegra 4 speed really make a noticeable difference?