What's new

Surface 2 with LTE coming soon

bertopl

the articles are starting to come out confirming this. here's one:

Microsoft's Surface 2 with LTE to debut on AT&T, Vodafone | ZDNet

looks like ARM based Surface 2's only from all the articles I've read so far. for now they haven't announced an intel based Surface Pro 2 with LTE which is what I was hoping for. I was holding off purchasing an SP2 since I've been pretty happy with my SP1 while I hold out for built-in LTE. what I'd REALLY like is to be able to use my grandfathered unlimited iPad data sim in something like a SP2. looks like I'll still be waiting!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Panos Panay stated both on Reddit and at the launch that the LTE version would be ARM only...

CrippsCorner

You realise that article's from last October!

Can I ask... why do people need LTE in a Surface? I simply tether to my phone, works perfectly.

kundas1

^^exactly, like in another thread posted why pay more for a surface that has LTE when tethering to a phone takes less than 5 seconds?

OP
bertopl

bertopl

You realise that article's from last October!

Can I ask... why do people need LTE in a Surface? I simply tether to my phone, works perfectly.

oops!! my bad :) I did read some newer articles where it passed the FCC so the release is imminent. read it on an RSS reader so I know some of the other articles are current. I'll have to find the right ones. as for why I'd want built in LTE, after having an iPad with built in data, there's nothing more convenient. turn the device on and you get internet wherever you are. I have an iPhone with AT&T with the old unlimited data plan but no tethering so I don't like that option. wasnt willing to pay extra for tethering with AT&T while giving up my unlimited data in the process.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It was the Verge and Engadget that ran the FCC Story on the Surface 2 with LTE, it was then picked up by all the usual suspects....

Tethering isn't an option for those of us in the US who have been grandfathered with our unlimited plans, if you make a change you lose your unlimited data...

kundas1

Wow I didn't realize how strict the US carriers are with tethering and I'm surprised in fact... I guess we're lucky here in Canada the carriers haven't bothered us so far about tethering. But I guess alot more customers were taking advantage of the unlimited data plans and tethering their laptops probably and taking advantage of the unlimited data. LOL but that still sucks that you pay for data and can't tether your tablet

OP
bertopl

bertopl

unlimited data is becoming a rare thing in the US. I'm holding on to unlimited data on an iPhone, an iPad and a Clear USB modem which I currently use with the SP1. most data plans I've looked at lately (particularly the iPad data) is more expensive and have caps. I still have the old unlimited LTE on the iPad for 29 bux.

kristalsoldier

Wow I didn't realize how strict the US carriers are with tethering and I'm surprised in fact... I guess we're lucky here in Canada the carriers haven't bothered us so far about tethering. But I guess alot more customers were taking advantage of the unlimited data plans and tethering their laptops probably and taking advantage of the unlimited data. LOL but that still sucks that you pay for data and can't tether your tablet

Yeah....same here in the UK. I can tether any number of devices to my phone's data connection (which in my case is usually two devices - the Surface 2 and the iPad Air simultaneously), which is unlimited. Decent speeds for the most part though I can't say that I have clocked it. The best part of the deal - if I remain with my current carrier - is that when 4G (LTE, I think elsewhere) is introduced to the place where I live (most likely by this year-end), that upgrade is free too without disturbing my contracted terms. The pricing is reasonable too - around USD 26 per month. No reason why I could go for a cellular version of the Surface (or any other tablet, for that matter) at the moment.

TheCudder

unlimited data is becoming a rare thing in the US. I'm holding on to unlimited data on an iPhone, an iPad and a Clear USB modem which I currently use with the SP1. most data plans I've looked at lately (particularly the iPad data) is more expensive and have caps. I still have the old unlimited LTE on the iPad for 29 bux.

Not at T-Mobile... but I believe they cap tethering to just 2GB. You'd have to pay more to bump the tethering cap, which I think is pretty lame.

Last edited:

EMINENT

I have tethering, but it can be a pain in the ass. I'm selling my non LTE for one when it arrives.