What's new

Surface 3 - Can It Run These Programs?

GoProDavidLe

Hello all,

Please excuse my ignorance as I am not familiar with the Microsoft Surface 3. Just to give a little background as to what I plan to do with my new device (not set on the Surface 3) - I currently use a Apple MacBook Pro as my main computing device. The reason I am looking into a Windows operating system is because I am in school for Networking and most softwares/programs I use for Windows compatible only. A few programs I will be using are VMWare, Raptor, Visual Studios, and Microsoft Office (obviously Office will work just fine on the Surface 3). So my question is, can the Surface 3 handle the other three programs that I have listed? Or is it suggested that I go ahead and get the Microsoft Surface PRO 3 instead?

Thank you all in advance,

- David

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see no reason why it wouldn't run any of those, however when considering VMWare, you should be aware that the surface 3 (in my opinion) is anything but a fast or powerful device. Hopefully someone can offer some more insight into VMWare on the S3, or if i have time, i might be able to play about and see how it performs, but it may be worth looking at the SP3.

For reference, i had an SP3 for my studies last year, and recently picked up an S3, and in terms of studying, anything beyond microsoft office and i will be taking the SP3 with me to the library etc. Even just using google books (something i use a lot at uni) is laggy enough when scrolling to dissuade me from using the S3 for any real work. The S3 has replaced my android tablet, but it will never be able to replace my computer, it just isn't fast enough to give me a satisfying user experience. When i'm working, i just want it to work, and be fast when it works.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough. That made my mind when you said that you will be using your SP3 for any real work. Thank you man!

The S3 is very capable, but it is best to think of it as an ipad replacement that runs full windows. It may have 4gb of ram and 128gb of flash memory, but for me, it is definitely faster and more powerful than an android or apple tablet, but just compared to the pro 3 it is noticeably slower than just the pro 3 (with nothing running, i just opened chrome and it took 5 seconds to launch and display the google search and frequent sites) let alone a fully fledged laptop or desktop.

OP
G

GoProDavidLe

Understandable. This is a hard decision because I only have one semester left to use VMWare and don't want to spend too much if I already have a primary computing device for 90% of the work I deal with.

Maybe I should look into the SP2 or something comparable.

- My other options are to:
  • Buy a larger SSD for my MacBook and install parallels and Windows on my MacBook (to run dual OSX and Windows)
  • Buy SP2/3 or S3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well i'm biased, so not much use in me offering input there :D Maybe just stick with the macbook for the moment, and see how it compares to the SP4 when announced. While i love my SP3 with a passion, i cannot deny that the only reason i bought it over a far more powerful laptop (£ for £) was for the ability to use onenote and inking for lectures and tutorials. But i see the SP3 (and 4 when i find the money for it) will continue to remain useful long after i get my degree and enter the professional workplace so i decided just spend the money.

OP
G

GoProDavidLe

Everyone's input has helped me so please don't hold back. I will look into the price and specs of the SP4 and see how much the base model will run. Saving money is always a plus so I may choose what is beneficial for the money rather than just buying a computer just for a short term.

toaf

you might be able to get a SP2 for a good price now a days. I still love mine. and the docking stations, and the power keyboard. I really hope that comes back for the SP4

RémiM

@hughlle I am not totally with you on this one !

I sold my SP3 for a S3. Yep. For many reasons, the first one being the overall quality of the SP3. Microsoft hired blind people to make the quality control of the SP3 (no disrespect to blind people).

At leats the S3 is much better in this area.

I find the S3 to be an extremely competitive device. I create/compile/run my C++ programs, play, multitask, use Office a lot, and do pretty much everything I did with my SP3. Of course, if you have a timer with you, you can complain that the S3 is overall 1.5s slower than the SP3. But honestly, who cares ? The S3 has never meant to be a SP3 challenger in term of speed. I knew it before I purchased it.

The S3 opens IE11 in less than a second. The MSN webpage being loaded with crap. In a blink. Bang, opened. I would never use Chrome on something else than an Android device. The same for IE.

It is unfair to compare the S3 to an iPad. Sorry about that, but they don't even play in the same category.

To answer the OP. @hughlle is right when he says that the SP3 is more powerful, fast and overall more capable than the S3. He forgot to mention that the latter is lighter, silent, smaller, fanless, with a more solid kickstand, not curved -- the SP3 is curved by design or by mistake who knows ? -- (and then the screen wont pop-out of the frame), has a keyboard with 5 levels of brightness and not 3, runs Office perfectly, has a mini-USB universal charger (which is a little slow I admit), etc, etc...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK if a Surface 3 will run Vmware workstation at all perhaps someone can confirm that it will or wont. However the bigger question is what will you be dog with Vmware Workstation, if that's indeed what you're referring to?

On the other hand if your keeping the macbook anyway ... adding a Surface to the mix would be a good addition. Note some networking tools may not work with Wifi, that should be decreasing but it's been an issue in the past. If you purchase wisely you may be able to upgrade the macbook and get a surface for about the same price as a new Surface Pro.

To me the big question needing more understanding to make the best decision is what your needs and requirements are surrounding Vmware or Parallels.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
@hughlle I am not totally with you on this one !

I sold my SP3 for a S3. Yep. For many reasons, the first one being the overall quality of the SP3. Microsoft hired blind people to make the quality control of the SP3 (no disrespect to blind people).

At leats the S3 is much better in this area.

I find the S3 to be an extremely competitive device. I create/compile/run my C++ programs, play, multitask, use Office a lot, and do pretty much everything I did with my SP3. Of course, if you have a timer with you, you can complain that the S3 is overall 1.5s slower than the SP3. But honestly, who cares ? The S3 has never meant to be a SP3 challenger in term of speed. I knew it before I purchased it.

The S3 opens IE11 in less than a second. The MSN webpage being loaded with crap. In a blink. Bang, opened. I would never use Chrome on something else than an Android device. The same for IE.

It is unfair to compare the S3 to an iPad. Sorry about that, but they don't even play in the same category.

To answer the OP. @hughlle is right when he says that the SP3 is more powerful, fast and overall more capable than the S3. He forgot to mention that the latter is lighter, silent, smaller, fanless, with a more solid kickstand, not curved -- the SP3 is curved by design or by mistake who knows ? -- (and then the screen wont pop-out of the frame), has a keyboard with 5 levels of brightness and not 3, runs Office perfectly, has a mini-USB universal charger (which is a little slow I admit), etc, etc...

It#'s all personal opinion and experience at the end of the day. I actually find the SP3 to be a higher quality device than my S3 (the top edge of my device is not flush on one of the corners where the metal strip meets the plastic, and i far prefer the SP3 kickstand. But it is all just my opinion, so i made sure to state as much.

As to comparing to an ipad, i meant more in terms of general usage speed. For me the S3 is rather like any other tablet out there. It does the job but i would never call it nippy like i would the SP3 (My s3 takes 3 seconds to load up and display the MSN homepage, SP3 is almost instantaneous. But we all know that with these devices one users experience may not replicate an others. All i know is the heaviest work i do on the SP3 is office, but i'd never sell it and keep the S3. It just isn't nippy enough for me.