What's new

Surface 3 Charging

guest1

what is the problem with surface 3 running from the external batteries and not charging the internal battery as the same time?
the intel system is quite different from arm chipset where it limit by the voltage of the lithium battery which is 3.7v. laptop for example, could run from external power source while not require the internal battery to be plug in. this is a good thing.

i actually want the surface tablet that will run from the external battery while not charging the internal one if possible. am i missing anything here?

MKWM

It doesn't run solely from the external battery, it will still drain your internal battery, just slower than when it's unplugged. That's the main issue

guest1

It doesn't run solely from the external battery, it will still drain your internal battery, just slower than when it's unplugged. That's the main issue
so when the internal battery run out, you plug in the external battery, the surface 3 will not turn on?

MKWM

so when the internal battery run out, you plug in the external battery, the surface 3 will not turn on?
It probably won't. Using BatteryBar Pro when I've seen the "plugged in, not charging" message, BatteryBar Pro shows that there's a net discharge rate so if the internal battery was zero the surface wouldn't run.

guest1

It probably won't. Using BatteryBar Pro when I've seen the "plugged in, not charging" message, BatteryBar Pro shows that there's a net discharge rate so if the internal battery was zero the surface wouldn't run.
i see, still can anyone else confirm? let the internal battery die then plug in the external battery.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
i see, still can anyone else confirm? let the internal battery die then plug in the external battery.
No it's not going to work immediately and depending on your charge level it may not last long if it's up to charging and running at the same time.

But that's not uncommon, a dead iPad or Samsung tab wont come on immediately either.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
.....so my iPad was never able to charge my iPhone while the iPad itself was charging. #PowerfulTabletSurface3
Irrelevant, also hashtags are irrelevant :). If my iPad is dead; when you plug it in it wont turn on immediately, that's what he asked.

Turbo4AWD

Irrelevant, also hashtags are irrelevant :). If my iPad is dead; when you plug it in it wont turn on immediately, that's what he asked.
Lol, I was being goofy. Yeah, pretty sure Hashtags don't work here, but thought it would be funny.

My iPhone battery was dying, but so was my Surface 3 battery and usually with my iPad I have to plug it in somewhere first, then find another outlet/cord to plug in my iPhone so it could charge at the same time. However, this time I just plugged the Surface 3 into the nearest outlet and then plugged the USB cord to my iPhone and had it charge off of the Surface 3.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol, I was being goofy. Yeah, pretty sure Hashtags don't work here, but thought it would be funny.

My iPhone battery was dying, but so was my Surface 3 battery and usually with my iPad I have to plug it in somewhere first, then find another outlet/cord to plug in my iPhone so it could charge at the same time. However, this time I just plugged the Surface 3 into the nearest outlet and then plugged the USB cord to my iPhone and had it charge off of the Surface 3.
:D Hashtags are a pet peeve of mine... #DontUseHastagsOutsideOfTwitter #especiallyNotInConversation. #NeverEverUseHashtsgsInTVADs. #ItsRidiculous #MakesMeWantToThrottleSomeone :D

guest1

No it's not going to work immediately and depending on your charge level it may not last long if it's up to charging and running at the same time.

But that's not uncommon, a dead iPad or Samsung tab wont come on immediately either.

that what i said previously, arm system chipset is quite different to traditional intel system. intel system does not require battery to operate.
ipad or samsung tab need battery in good condition or else it won't turn on. ipad only draw power from the battery even if it is connect to a wall adapter.
i am quite sure that in case of my lenovo yoga, even if the battery go bad, the system will still perform correctly, not sure if that is the case of surface tablet.

scwillson

So the conclusion as I understand it (not have read quite the entire thread) is that if we want truly fast charging on our S3 we would be better of using the USB 3.0 port rather than the Micro USB port, along with a decent charger proving at least 12 watts. Is that correct?