What's new

Surface 3 Charging

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the conclusion as I understand it (not have read quite the entire thread) is that if we want truly fast charging on our S3 we would be better of using the USB 3.0 port rather than the Micro USB port, along with a decent charger proving at least 12 watts. Is that correct?
No there's no indication the USB 3.0 port allows for charging.
Although completely undocumented I believe the Docking Station charges the S3 via the DisplayPort.

scwillson

I thought any USB port allowed charging? IIRC that was one of the original purposes of the USB port's introduction: simultaneous data transfer and charging.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought any USB port allowed charging? IIRC that was one of the original purposes of the USB port's introduction: simultaneous data transfer and charging.
Feel free to verify... I haven't tried to charge via the USB 3.0 port but some have posted that they were not successful which led to my theory that the DP is used as the dock contains no micro USB connector.

AFAIK it's not mandatory to configure power import aka charging or even power output for that matter on a USB port.

scwillson

I think you have the best solution, which is to ask my question to Microsoft.

I know the SP3 can't, but it has a very different charging setup. Hopefully MS wil let me know quickly.

EDIT: Microsoft says no, it can't. Another beautiful theory shot down by an ugly fact.

Last edited:

guest1

So the conclusion as I understand it (not have read quite the entire thread) is that if we want truly fast charging on our S3 we would be better of using the USB 3.0 port rather than the Micro USB port, along with a decent charger proving at least 12 watts. Is that correct?
not the usb 3.0, more like micro usb c 3.1

this is exactly what happen to the acer switch 10 line.
last year, a user ask Acer to put the micro usb charge to their switch tablet line, their engineer answer back that it was not possible because of the 5v limitation.
this year, they did exactly opposite , their new switch tablet got the micro usb charge; but it take over 6 hours or so to complete charge the tablet.