What's new

Surface 3 crashes when connecting to TV

brysamo

I have a Surface 3 (128/4 GB) that I'm trying to connect to my TV (47" Vizio E-Series, 120 Hz, smart) via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and every single time without fail the Surface crashes, regardless of order of operations (tv plugged in while off, surface booted while plugged it, etc...).

I get a screen that says:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collection some error infor, and then we'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online for this error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ks.sys)"

Nothing that comes up seems to be relevant (a lot of stuff about skype) - re-installed/updated it to be sure, still no dice.

Everything is up to date, I use Microsoft Security Essentials so it shouldn't be a case of the anti virus bugging things up, and it works fine with the 60 Hz tv that I have.

I've attached the latest event viewer log (they're all the same) and the dxdiag output.

Attachments

• crash.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,252
OP
B

brysamo

I'm using a cheap adapter cable that I got off ebay. It works with other monitors though so I don't believe the cable is the issue.

malberttoo

I'm using a cheap adapter cable that I got off ebay.

Probably the issue. And besides, there's really no meaningful troubleshooting to try, until the cable/connection method is eliminated as the problem.

The Internet is stuffed to bursting with things that "work fine on 95% other devices, but not on this one...." :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using a cheap adapter cable that I got off ebay. It works with other monitors though so I don't believe the cable is the issue.
My experience is that many 3rd party adapters don't plug in enough to make a good connection with the mine-DP port.

cjg

I have a Surface 3 (128/4 GB) that I'm trying to connect to my TV (47" Vizio E-Series, 120 Hz, smart) via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and every single time without fail the Surface crashes, regardless of order of operations (tv plugged in while off, surface booted while plugged it, etc...).

I get a screen that says:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collection some error infor, and then we'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online for this error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ks.sys)"

Nothing that comes up seems to be relevant (a lot of stuff about skype) - re-installed/updated it to be sure, still no dice.

Everything is up to date, I use Microsoft Security Essentials so it shouldn't be a case of the anti virus bugging things up, and it works fine with the 60 Hz tv that I have.

I've attached the latest event viewer log (they're all the same) and the dxdiag output.
Wondering if you ever found a solution.. I get the same error when connecting to a VIZIO Smart TV, and have tried several high quality cables to no avail..