What's new

Surface 3 Doesn't Support Intel WiDi

netuser

Like the i3 version of the SP3, the S3 doesn't support Intel WiDi because that requires a vPro CPU and other specific hardware requirements They instead only support the consumer oriented Miracast wireless display.
Miracast is easier to set up and is good enough for most people. Nobody will care if someone in the lobby or parking lot hacks into your Youtube or Netflix video wirelessly streaming over Miracast. However, are you giving up security in a business environment if you do confidential presentations on your Surface 3 over Miracast?
Does Miracast have any similar encryption as Intel WiDi?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this will be seen as maybe a controversial opinion, but if you are doing confidential business presentations then you should be doing them with a machine that supports the protocols you need. E.g you buy the machine for the purpose. While it may be used for a professional purpose, the S3 is designed as the budget model, with the pro 3 being for professionals. You wouldn't buy a machine that doesn't support for example, bitlocker, if you knew that your work was important enough that bitlocker was a requirement (i don't know if bitlocker is simply software or hardware specific, but you get the point)

OP
N

netuser

I know this will be seen as maybe a controversial opinion, but if you are doing confidential business presentations then you should be doing them with a machine that supports the protocols you need. E.g you buy the machine for the purpose. While it may be used for a professional purpose, the S3 is designed as the budget model, with the pro 3 being for professionals. You wouldn't buy a machine that doesn't support for example, bitlocker, if you knew that your work was important enough that bitlocker was a requirement (i don't know if bitlocker is simply software or hardware specific, but you get the point)
Surface 3 supports Bitlocker and everything else we need.
Also, I don't know for sure that Miracast doesn't have acceptable encryption I'm asking a question about it. I only know that the Surface 3 doesn't support Intel WiDi that's more business enterprise oriented.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WiDi doesn't require a vPro chipset just the full Intel Wireless and video stack. Miracast is encrypted as It supports HCDP. WiDi 4.0 and later is 100% Miracast compatible and without using the Intel WiDi client all Windows 8.x and latest devices will use Miracast as It doesn't have WiDi support at the OS level.

OP
N

netuser

WiDi doesn't require a vPro chipset just the full Intel Wireless and video stack. Miracast is encrypted as It supports HCDP. WiDi 4.0 and later is 100% Miracast compatible and without using the Intel WiDi client all Windows 8.x and latest devices will use Miracast as It doesn't have WiDi support at the OS level.
Ok, it may have only have been a coincidence that only our older laptops with vPro supported WiDi. I know for sure that Intel "Pro WiDi" features requires vPro and may require at least 4th generation Intel chips.
There seems to be no Windows 7 support for Miracast, so we have to use Intel WiDi for wireless displays for everything not running Windows 8.1.
We can use a Screenbeam Pro that supports both types of wireless displays. We won't be able to get Microsoft Display Adapters until we retire Windows 7 laptops.

So, even the vPro versions of the Surface Pro 3 wouldn't support Intel WiDi since the Surface Pro line uses Marvell wireless.
Intel marketing materials seem to imply that Intel WiDi is secure and other wireless display methods are not.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, it may have only have been a coincidence that only our older laptops with vPro supported WiDi. I know for sure that Intel "Pro WiDi" features requires vPro and may require at least 4th generation Intel chips.
There seems to be no Windows 7 support for Miracast, so we have to use Intel WiDi for wireless displays for everything not running Windows 8.1.
We can use a Screenbeam Pro that supports both types of wireless displays. We won't be able to get Microsoft Display Adapters until we retire Windows 7 laptops.

So, even the vPro versions of the Surface Pro 3 wouldn't support Intel WiDi since the Surface Pro line uses Marvell wireless.
Intel marketing materials seem to imply that Intel WiDi is secure and other wireless display methods are not.
Of course Intel's marketing would say that.... ;)

Only Windows 8.1 and 10 support Miracast OOB...you would need the Intel WiDi Client for Windows 7.