What's new

Surface 3 hangs on bootup...

gened50

When I turned on my Surface 3 today from power off (not sleeping) the "Surface" name was displayed but the "rotating dots busy indicator" never shows and the boot hangs. Long press on the power button can be done but retrying doesn't work. I've since gone into the BIOS settings but there doesn't seem to be anything there that might be used to figure out what's going on. It doesn't seem to matter if the keyboard is connected or not. Any ideas???

Plantje

Had this topic in my newsreader for quite a while now. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but did you get any further with this issue?

How about starting with a boot device in it?

OP
G

gened50

I was able to resolve the problem by doing the special/hidden full power off on the Surface 3 that no Surface had before. Normally press and hold on the power button would do a "full power off". On the Surface 3 that happens but it didn't fix my problem. After nearly a full day of investigation I discovered that on the Surface 3 there is a second operation that does a real "full power off". So to do a real "full power off" on the Surface 3 you have to:

1. Do the normal "full power off" by pressing and holding the power button for 30 seconds.
2. After it powers down you press and hold the power button and the volume up button at the same time for 30 seconds.

Normally pressing power button and volume up button at the same time will bring up the BIOS configuration but if you continue to hold the buttons down the Surface will go into real full power off.

Not sure how my Surface got into the state were it wouldn't boot but this real power off procedure fixed my problem.