What's new

Solved Surface 3 making a loud noise on switching on

Milkybarkid

I've had my Surface 3 since the end of May, direct from MS. It has been absolutely fine until last night. I switched it on it started making a loud screeching noise, which I couldn't shut off without doing a hard stop. Next time I switched on it was fine, until tonight, switched on and this loud screeching noise, which would not stop until a hard stop. I have the sound turned off but even putting ear pods on at the jack point does not switch the noise off, or at least doesn't drown the noise. Only way to describe it is like a radio station turned up on full. Other than what came with it, Firefox, Kindle and bits out of the MS Store, I haven't installed any other software

The only thing that I have done recently, about 10 days ago, was put it in an Urban Armor case. Has anyone else had similar problems or suggestions what it is. I did try the Microsoft Tech but before I get anywhere they want the tablet's number and it is hidden by the cover (and probably difficult for me to get out).

martian

How do I get on the chatline with Microsoft? I am having the same problem, loud static, but it happens at random intervals for about 10-15 seconds. It doesn't necessarily start static only on start-up. It's just...random.

OP
M

Milkybarkid

No idea but obviously something that they were ready for. First thing she asked me was did I need any updates, I'd never even looked before, just assumed they were being done automatically.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I experienced a few Audio Driver crashes back in May, early June... usually while playing something there would be a momentary odd noise then nothing... wouldn't make another sound until rebooted. Screeching is probably just another failure mode. Apparently fixed by a driver update, haven't had any problems lately.

rufio2201

I've had my Surface 3 since the end of May, direct from MS. It has been absolutely fine until last night. I switched it on it started making a loud screeching noise, which I couldn't shut off without doing a hard stop. Next time I switched on it was fine, until tonight, switched on and this loud screeching noise, which would not stop until a hard stop. I have the sound turned off but even putting ear pods on at the jack point does not switch the noise off, or at least doesn't drown the noise. Only way to describe it is like a radio station turned up on full. Other than what came with it, Firefox, Kindle and bits out of the MS Store, I haven't installed any other software

The only thing that I have done recently, about 10 days ago, was put it in an Urban Armor case. Has anyone else had similar problems or suggestions what it is. I did try the Microsoft Tech but before I get anywhere they want the tablet's number and it is hidden by the cover (and probably difficult for me to get out).

I also experienced this loud static noise, it started randomly and wouldn't stop. Volume controls had no effect and it would keep coming back after I restared the computer. It seemed like the noise was coming from the top left corner, if facing the monitor, and it felt like it was overheating in that area. I went to the support page that another commentor provided, but fixed it on my own. Go to Microsoft Surface support | Surface help and how-to | Surface setup and troubleshooting > select: "Fix common Surface problems using the Software Repair Tool" > and run the tool. Once I restarted after running the tool the noise went away.

klaw

I also experienced this loud static noise, it started randomly and wouldn't stop. Volume controls had no effect and it would keep coming back after I restared the computer. It seemed like the noise was coming from the top left corner, if facing the monitor, and it felt like it was overheating in that area. I went to the support page that another commentor provided, but fixed it on my own. Go to Microsoft Surface support | Surface help and how-to | Surface setup and troubleshooting > select: "Fix common Surface problems using the Software Repair Tool" > and run the tool. Once I restarted after running the tool the noise went away.

Thank you!

I bought a new Surface 3 last week on sale at NewEgg. I had the loud static noise hit for the first time when I powered it on this morning. It was exactly as you described. I spent the morning Googling the problem and it has apparently been fairly common since 2015. I ran the Software Repair Tool and it seems to have fixed the problem.