What's new

Surface 3 - Mini Display Port Crash

frielster

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice re my Surface 3 Mini Display Port crashing. The symptoms are as follows:

1. External monitor (various models) connected via the doc - Experience screen quivering intermittently.
2. External monitor (various models) connected to various (but non Microsoft) Mini Display Analogue adaptors - external display turns black and cannot recover without re-boot.
3. External monitor (various models)connected to various (but non Microsoft) digital mini display adaptor - external display turns white and cannot recover without re-boot.

This is a replacement surface 3 as the retailer took the other one back as it had the same issues. Also reported the previous one to Microsoft and their call centre could not fix.

I'm a bit concerned that the Surface 3 has a defect that there is no resolution for. Has anyone else came across these issues? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,
frielsa

Last edited:

LsRamAir

My experience:

I use mine connected via a miniDP to active DVI-D converter into my Asus 23" monitor. Running 1080p@120hz. Has been nearly flawless in execution using clone, single and extended mode.

Not sure it's a S3 hardware bug...

OP
F

frielster

Ok, thanks for replying. Microsoft are now going to explore this further and have requested more detailed info which I have provided, Microsoft have raised call ref: 1291197313 for this. Should I get further feedback I'll be sure to update this post.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just plugged mine into an old HDTV using a generic 3-in-1 mini display port adaptor, which then used an HDMI-DVI cable to connect to the TV's DVI port. Didn't have to do a thing, plug and play. Works perfectly.

s237

Having the same thing happen here with various generic Mini Displayport to VGA adapters. Tried the Apple one too. All will work for around 20-30 minutes before crashing. Monitor screen will turn black. Rebooting is the only thing that will make it come back before it crashes again. :mad:

Kriton

I have the same issue. I have tried both DVI and hdmi adaptors. It only seems to happen on certain screens though. When I connect my sony TV, everything works great. When I connect my ACER or DELL monitors, whatever application I currently run crashes after ~20min and monitor turns black .... very strange... My surface does not crash though. It will still work, but I am unable to reconnect my screen back to it till I restart it....

OP
F

frielster

Ok, so we have an issue - lets hope Microsoft can resolve swiftly as I love the product but can't do my business effectively with it.

Stockholmstar

Just saw your post. I've had S3 since the release and I experienced this exact issue twice today with MS adapter and a Samsung tv.. But the problem is hard to reproduce. I was connected a full day for presentations and it happened only twice.

gammanone

After using the S3 for a while it's quite clear that the intel display drivers for the atom are still in early stages, so with any luck once we get some updated ones this problem (and others) will clear up.

OP
F

frielster

I hope so, I've had a couple of days use without issue but today has been a nightmare. I daren't use my S3 when presenting to clients, it would make me look bad and wouldn't do much for the reputation of the S3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have noticed a few Audio Driver crash issues as well. still compared to the issues with the Pro's this release has been relatively uneventful but they must keep improving and not rest. Someday they should try for getting it right the first time rather than the traditional 3rd time. :) RT, S2, S3. Wouldn't that be refreshing.