What's new

Surface 3 (Non Pro version) have Intel Core M processors?

hamish

Hey guys,

How likely is it that with Windows 10 coming out next year Summer, that we will see maybe a new Surface 3 launch but with a conventional x86 processor such as Core-M rather than an ARM variant or do you think the Core M's are going to be kept aside for the Surface 4 Pro?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has wide reaching implications but I have to hold judgment until we see if Core-M lives up to expectations. To date we have not seen that it outperforms a top end Atom CPU although I have only seen preliminary benchmarks for one device, the Lenovo Yoga 3, it was not up to the task. Perhaps some firmware tuning will correct the issue.

Beyond that would it have WinRT? Still not run x86 apps? how would it compete with the wave of low priced Windows with Bing entries?

Does Core-M really deliver on the Performance and Power criteria. Early glimpses may indicate its underperforming and overdrawing power compared to the latest ARM entries such as Tegra K1. Actual results TBD. How much power an ARM SOC uses though is tough to find.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Pro line will have x86, if there is a Core M it will replace the i3 Haswell Model (Core M is the replacement for the Haswell "Y" Variant). If we see an ARM Surface, my guess it will be a 6" Windows 10 Phablet (3:2) with N-Trig or 10.6 64bit ARM Tablet (3:2) and N-trig....maybe both.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read a review of the Nexus 9 (Tegra K1 64 bit ARM) tablet. it reportedly gets warm :) remains to be seen how warm. Performance looks to be about as expected for a 64 bit K1 which is to say a nice bump from last years model and holds its own against the iPad Air 2. Actually performs better on single core tests and graphics tests and better than 2/3 of the A8X's 3 core multicore score with just 2 cores.

That bodes well for a Surface 3 with a 64 bit Tegra K1 IF Microsoft was so inclined to give us one. Could they have a Black Friday surprise in Stores??? Could there be a Surface 3 under the Christmas Tree??? Will Microsoft let the holiday cheer avoid the Surface RT this year??? Stay tuned to this same channel for all to unfold. :)

OP
H

hamish

Thanks for your replies.

My only qualm is that you can now pickup small Windows tablets that run FULL windows 8 (albeit with atom processors etc)

My question therefore is, shouldn't microsoft with Windows 10 unify the surface line, but at the same time have different models for different price point (mini for very cheap tablets, probably 8', surface 3 with core M with a medium price point, and the surface pro 4 with a higher price point and full core i3/5/7 processors.)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your replies.

My only qualm is that you can now pickup small Windows tablets that run FULL windows 8 (albeit with atom processors etc)

My question therefore is, shouldn't microsoft with Windows 10 unify the surface line, but at the same time have different models for different price point (mini for very cheap tablets, probably 8', surface 3 with core M with a medium price point, and the surface pro 4 with a higher price point and full core i3/5/7 processors.)
Well IF Microsoft is all in on platforms then being viable on ARM is part of it... not just tablets but ARM servers too.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your replies.

Nope.... the Surface will hopefully never be in all segments and price points, it is a Halo Device and should be priced like one. The ARM version will be a premium device just like the Surface 2. If Microsoft loses sight of that the product and Windows is doomed. The OEMs have cheap and moderate price devices covered quite well, they also have the premium Ultrabook segment covered. The Surface Line needs to be an experience not just a product.