What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

Telstar1948

Glad they took care of you! Getting to keep your old one until the new one shows up is the only way to go if you use your device everyday.

Plantje

Yes, I am really happy with the service provided!

Still I am curious to what may have caused this all of a sudden to appear. I did notice that the day before I saw this the battery was completely drained when I first wanted to use it. Don't know if it had been running hot. It wasn't very warm or anything.

Plantje

I called Microsoft support. And if you have a credit card associated to your Microsoft account you're entitled to Advanced Support which means they send you the replacement before you have to send in the defective one.

I called Microsoft support. And if you have a credit card associated to your Microsoft account you're entitled to Advanced Support which means they send you the replacement before you have to send in the defective one.
Ok good and do you got a brand new SP3 back or a refurbished one?

Plantje

I'm not sure, but I hope it's a new one. Aaaaaand I hope it's a Surface and not a Surface Pro :)

I know in the Netherlands the LTE versions have not been sold. And the version I have is one that has not been sold a lot as well. It's the 4GB RAM 64 GB storage version. I hope they will give me a 4GB RAM 128GB storage version :)

OP
G

Gus

mine never got hot and the battery never went dead. I always shut down. The battery check on the replacement shows a full charge, better than the year old year old battery anyway.

Plantje

Recently got my new Surface 3. Very happy with it! I am currently installing and configuring everything. It's a pity the option to synchronize the start screen is not available anymore in Windows 10. I got the device with Windows 8.1 so that was the first thing to do.
Next to that my warranty for the new device is for 7/23/2018 where the old one was 12/2/2017. Very nice!

Let's hope this one doesn't get the pixels during start up as I only had my old one for a few months. It still kinda bugs me that I don't know what caused it!

I have transferred the screen protector from one to the other. Quite some dust is trapped under it. I'll have to remove it to remove the dust (I think I'll ask for a replacement as well) and while I'm at it UI will check if everything was dust and no dead pixels.

bronsky

One year almost to the day (actually a few days past the anniversary), my display started showing a brown staining. The overall brightness also started to fade.
50a3bdcf-4dc1-4b4b-80ec-835470897941_zps7r4pa7qh.jpg

Following Gus' advice, I spoke to the tech at my local MS Store and sent them this picture. They are exchanging for a replacement unit, no questions asked. Glad I had Complete Care. Also really happy that they will get the unit in the store so I can just swap mine and don't have to be without a tablet for any length of time.

A happy MS customer. Now, if MS would just make a Core M Surface 4, I would be even happier.

SuperMan

All those who have their surface 3 replaced, do not be too happy. Within the course of 1 year two months i have this tablet 3 times due to the same issue of having stuck pixels on a black background. (Australia has two years warranty).And today the same issue happened. by the way i am using a glass screen protector too. very disappointed and fatigue from getting it replaced and reinstalling. :( sigh....