What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

kristalsoldier

Is it though? A lot of times I feel like I'm using a bit too small of a device. I have used the Pro 4 in the lap and feel it's better than the smaller Surface 3. Also, I don't think I will mind it being a larger device if it's thinner....later next month I will go to my local Microsoft Store and check out the new Surface Pro and see what my thoughts are after checking it out.

Still feel that the extra ram and bigger screen will just improve the experience that much more....

Speaking for myself, yes, the size and feel of the S3 is better than the SP4 (as a pure tablet only). Anyways, who knows what MS is doing!!!

Edit: When you do get the time to check the SP 2017 in person, do please update. In particular, I would be very interested to know how it felt when used and a pure tablet in generally mobile conditions. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Plantje

I really hope this S3 will hold. Today again at work I've used it a lot! Had a job interview and was able to make notes, gave a training later that day. Did everything fine!

Plantje

Using my S3 again while waiting for my daughter, I do notice it is running pretty hot when using LTE, but that should not be an issue. Still holding my breath though :)

Plantje

Here we go.... :( Just noticed the first spots when booting up.
This is the fifth Surface 3 in a little over a year! I am 99.9% sure this one has not run hot in my bag. In the past few weeks I have never took it out of the bag noticing it was on.
Not sure what to do now.... :( I am not really looking forward to sending it back again. And I really don't know why I keep having this!

Plantje

Given this some thought.... I can hardly imagine I am just having tough luck. How can I have 5 Surface 3s in a row that have this exact same problem after a while of usage?

The only thing that is constant is my Type Cover, my charger and tempered glass screen protector. All three are official Microsoft products. And the other constant factor obviously is "me" and my usage. Yes, I use the device a lot, but that should not be an issue. I have two accounts setup, but I really can't think of any of that being the cause of this issue.

Perhaps I should ask Microsoft (just for the sake of the experiment) to replace the Type Cover and charger as well this time around. In general they don't agree with that, but replacing the device (and throwing the old one in the bin?) every few months is not good either! And as for the screen protector: if I can only use a tablet this short I hardly think it is useful to add a screen protector.

What I cán do myself: take of the screen protector and see if the issue still gets worse. If not: put it back on.... and check if that causes it. Really a bummer again!

kristalsoldier

Hmmm...that is odd! I don't have or use the Type Cover, or Screen protector, and for charging - unless I am traveling - I use the dock. Till now - touch wood - I have not seen this yet on my new S3. But this is so odd though - 5 out of 5?

Plantje

Odd is perhaps an understatement :) 5 out of 5 must mean there is something causing this, right?
Got rid of the screen protector (after replacing it four times it is VERY hard to get it placed without dust under it).

Last time they mentioned I could opt to get my money back. Officially in Europe if something has been replaced or repaired for (I think) 3 times with the same issue they should give you your money back. However, Microsoft said I needed to do that through the reseller. They say: warranty of one year has expired...tough luck!

So I think the only thing I can hope for is Microsoft to understand me and arrange something for me. For example allowing me to send in the S3 and get a significant discount on a Surface Pro LTE. Or perhaps a Surface 4/5 on ARM with LTE (if that becomes available before my warranty expires).

I am not the biggest fan of the size of the Surface Pro, but if that would be the solution I will get an i5 version with 256/8GB and I will replace my desktop at home with a Surface dock.
And in my car I also have a tablet (for navigation, Skype for business, hands free texting etc) and I will take some Android tablet for that I guess...
I am hoping to get a Tesla Model 3 anyway...so I am not sure how hard I will still need a separate tablet :)

kristalsoldier

Odd is perhaps an understatement :) 5 out of 5 must mean there is something causing this, right?
Got rid of the screen protector (after replacing it four times it is VERY hard to get it placed without dust under it).

Last time they mentioned I could opt to get my money back. Officially in Europe if something has been replaced or repaired for (I think) 3 times with the same issue they should give you your money back. However, Microsoft said I needed to do that through the reseller. They say: warranty of one year has expired...tough luck!

So I think the only thing I can hope for is Microsoft to understand me and arrange something for me. For example allowing me to send in the S3 and get a significant discount on a Surface Pro LTE. Or perhaps a Surface 4/5 on ARM with LTE (if that becomes available before my warranty expires).

I am not the biggest fan of the size of the Surface Pro, but if that would be the solution I will get an i5 version with 256/8GB and I will replace my desktop at home with a Surface dock.
And in my car I also have a tablet (for navigation, Skype for business, hands free texting etc) and I will take some Android tablet for that I guess...
I am hoping to get a Tesla Model 3 anyway...so I am not sure how hard I will still need a separate tablet :)

I hear you!!! Not cool at all!! But I am curious about this yellowing. It has been established that this is because of heat and the adhesive used in the panel. I can also account for issues with QC, but for one individual (in this instance, you) to receive 5 units and have all 5 of them fail is a statistical miracle.

Now, I hope I am not speaking too soon as I know exactly the problem you state having experienced it with my previous S3. But having gotten a new one (old one fell and broke), I am a bit paranoid that the problem may come back - like it is doing repeatedly in your case.

Having said all of the above, there is one observation I do have to make and I cannot account for why I perceive this. I am somewhat convinced that the screen of my new S3 is better than the screen on the old one. I am saying this not because of the yellowing issue that afflicted the old one, but because I think this screen on the new one is clearer, a bit brighter and somehow a little more comfortable to the eye. It could very well be that I had the same reaction to the previous one when it was new, but I continue to have this nagging impression that this is not so.

I wonder if you would consider opting for a 6th unit. I know its a crazy suggestion, but there is a reason. If you can get a 6th replacement and it also fails in the exactly the same way (yellowing of screen very early on), then there is one additional common element that you can bring into play and which can potentially answer why you are having this statistically odd run of bad luck. And, that common element is the vendor who is replacing these units for you (assuming it is the same establishment). I am not suggesting anything nefarious, just that it could be the vendor has a flawed batch and you are getting these units from that batch.

Worth thinking about, no? Given that you have considered and ruled out all other possibilities?

Plantje

Thank you for your extensive reply and thinking along! It's nice to see that people at least understand my frustration ;)

The vendor I got this from is Microsoft. So, a bad batch is out of the question.... I bought it a 1,5 years ago from a German company where they sell refurbished products. Then I had this issue and contacted Microsoft. They told me I have Microsoft Product warranty and through Advanced Exchange I could have it replaced. So I did..... and did that again...and again... :(

My mind is pretty much made up I am going to see how long I can use this one and then I will go for a Surface 5 on ARM (or whatever they will call it, but I am pretty sure it WILL come) or I will buy a Surface Pro i5 256/8 GB with LTE as soon as that comes out. And then I hope Microsoft understands the frustration and gives me a nice discount if I send in the Surface 3 or I have it replaced one more time and sell it immediately after replacement

Plantje

Still looking for a cause of this issue... For the ones who had this issue as well: do you use a pen? And if so, what kind of pen do you use?

Plantje

I saw that too... Still this is on one hand of course much more than the Surface 3 alone....it is the whole Surface range.
And while Apple, Samsung and Acer doing pretty good the difference between the rest is max 5%

This says something about how many devices need to be returned. It doesn't state how well warranty matters are handled. And from that point of view I can say Microsoft is doing a very good job!