What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

SuperMan

Same problem, lost count On the number of replacements, probably the 5th or 6th. Stars everywhere. Always use a glass protector. Now upgraded to the new 2017 Ipad Pro. Nicest drawing experience compared to the surface. No findicky stylus & display crap

Plantje

As long as it is possible I am going to have the device replaced. Let's hope one of them is ok.
By this time I would suspect charger or keyboard rather than the tablets. Or perhaps the pen.
Not sure if I saw the issue occur only after starting to work with the pen.

OP
G

Gus

It was a year and a half ago that I started this thread. That was when my surface was replaced because of the spots. I have not had that problem on the replacement and still use this daily. I think it had a lot to do with overheating. The battery seems to be getting weaker and I guess I expected that.

This new win 10 fall creator update sucks. It seems touch does not respond well I cannot configure the buttons on my pen. Old tech now

Plantje

Good to see that you are returning to this topic that you've opened!

In the mean time, I've had five Surface 3 tablets...all returned with the same issue. Overheating is unlikely the cause of the issue. One of them I have paid very much attention to how hot it got. Some of them I noticed were switched on while in the bag. That specific one I always did a complete shut down and still it got the issue. Only possibilitty for still getting too hot was long time playing HD videos. But I never really noticed it being really hot.

I have received the sixth one now. And this time I asked for a new power supply as well. The guy from the service department accidentally sent me a power cable for the Surface 3 dock (where I explicitly corrected him while on the phone!). I haven't even booted this one for the first time. I will boot it once in order to see if it works and then it goes on sale. With the type cover and Surface Pro 4 pen!

At the moment I am using my work laptop for private purposes as well. My employer rather has me using my work laptop for private stuff than use my prvate device for business purposes. And with all data leaks I can understand that. The only thing I reall miss is the touch screen! Ability to take notes is a nice to have, but OneNote works fine with typing as well. But the touch screen is a real bummer!
And currently I am at a new client where I can't use the Surface 3.
And for in the car I am going to purchase an Android tablet. I am in doubt if this is going to be a Samsung Tab S2 8", S3 9.7" or an Asus Zenpad 3 8" or 10". All have LTE options and in both cases the larger ones have pen support.
That way in the car I have the best traffic information (Google Maps and TomTom myDrive apps work great.) And I can check the news and do some browsing while in a traffic jam. And best of all: I can send Skype, Whatsapp and Slack messages while driving with the speech to text function that fortunately works in Dutch on Android!

I've had it with the Surface 3 and I don't even want to test the last one. Perhaps you are right... perhaps it is overheating and the new owner is demanding less of the Surface (I was using it a LOT!).

OP
G

Gus

wow.. 6 of them. I ahve not had a problem since they replaced my original one. My keyboard cover is not looking too good. The material is starting to separate along the edges. But this thing is holding up better than I thought it would.

Plantje

That's why apart from booting up I am not even going to look at the current one. I hope the next owner will have more luck!

OP
G

Gus

I started this thread years ago. Hard to believe that I still use this daily. Probably the longest I have ever owned a computer.

Plantje

It is not a bad computer. Just the screen was causing issues for me. But I think I am the problem.
Currently I am on my third Surface Pro 2017 LTE as the first two had light bleed issues. Not the sort of light bleed where the complete edge of the screen is a little bit brighter (I have no problem with that as it is normal...) No, this is where a small part of the screen is a little bit brighter than the rest. You can especially notice it on white. Not a big issue, but the problem is that it gets worse over time... And, believe it or not, the third one also has this issue.
I love the devices, I love the form factor, but this sort of issues really makes me wonder about the build quality!
Every time, I am in a store, I check devices there on these sorts of issues, and I have NEVER found one!

Turbo4AWD

I started this thread years ago. Hard to believe that I still use this daily. Probably the longest I have ever owned a computer.
I actually don't use mine anymore, but only because I upgraded to a Surface Pro 6 from the Surface 3. Which reminds me I need to charge it again, power it up, and delete all of my stuff off of it before I throw it away or sell it. I did consider trying to replace the screen or pay someone to do it, but I am still not sure it is going to be worth it or not yet. I LOVE the Surface 3/Pro. I really do believe detachables are the way things should be for laptop type use. You should always have the option to go to a tablet for consumption and then plug into a dock for work or attach the keyboard for mobile work. Some people love making it look like a laptop by purchasing a more solid keyboard and making it attach more securely and give it the laptop feel.

Plantje

I agree, the form factor is really great! And I really hope my next Surface Pro 2017 (I assume the light bleed will get worse and I have to return this one as well) will be the final Surface Pro 2017 and I have no more issues.
Would love it if Microsoft was blending the Surface Pro and Surface Book. With that I mean: create a new Surface Pro with a kick stand, but make it in a way that you can either connect a Type Cover or a base like the one from the Surface Book. I think the Surface Book devices look great as well. Really great job there!

Turbo4AWD

Unless
I agree, the form factor is really great! And I really hope my next Surface Pro 2017 (I assume the light bleed will get worse and I have to return this one as well) will be the final Surface Pro 2017 and I have no more issues.
Would love it if Microsoft was blending the Surface Pro and Surface Book. With that I mean: create a new Surface Pro with a kick stand, but make it in a way that you can either connect a Type Cover or a base like the one from the Surface Book. I think the Surface Book devices look great as well. Really great job there!

Unless you're specifically speaking of the exact look and feel of the Surface Book keyboard, Brydge already makes a hard form factor detachable keyboard for the surface pro making it look like a laptop instead of a tablet...