What's new

Surface 3 Pen

fanta182

Is Surface Pro 3 pen fully compatible with Surface 3?

I bought my S3 last week and happy with it. Though would have loved a faster processor. i have been trying to get hold of the Pen but unfortunately MS has not shipped the pens to any retailers in Malaysia so far !!!!

Can I buy Surface Pro 3 pen silver color or MS have improved the Surface Pen2 as mentioned on their website.

please help

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far as i am aware it is the exact same thing other than under S3 they offer additional colours. aNy n-trig pen will work on the s3. Depending where you live you can also just get n-trig pens designed for dell tablets etc that can often be had for about USD$10. But yes, it'll work. One of the reasons i may consider an S3 at some point as i already have a spare pen saving me £50 off the prospective price

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The original Surface Pen (Wacom) was for the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 only.

The Pen for Surface Pro 3 (N-Trig) and Surface 3 are the same. They added colors with the release of the Surface 3 but the Pens are otherwise identical and the only other difference is the box contains a Loop for holding the Pen.

The Surface Pro 3 Pen will work the same.

OP
F

fanta182

Thank guys. So MS launched surface Pen 2 as the website mentions it along with Pro 3 and now with S3 they have only added a few more colors.

Is my understanding correct.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if this is still the case but best buy online was selling the sp3 pen CHEAPER than the surface 3 pen... this was about a week ago but I haven't looked since

mogulman

Actually, the Silver Surface Pro 3 pen is the same thing. Same Part # and everything as the Silver Surface 3/Surface Pro 3 pen. There is a difference though. The new packaging (which can only be identified by looking at the box) includes a pen loop. This is because the Surface 3 doesn't include the Pen Loop in the keyboard packaging like Surface Pro 3.

So... other colors all include the pen loop.
Silver may or may not have the pen loop. If it only says Surface Pro 3 on the packaging then it doesn't include the pen loop.
If it says Surface 3/Surface Pro 3 and there is a picture of a Pen Loop on the back, then it includes the pen loop.

Otherwise, the pens are the same.