What's new

Surface 3 Phantom Touches

hieunguyen

i run the sony vaio tool, and it report 2 problem :
0)Error: payloadLen len is too small =0 while it should be 3
0)Error:Failed to HandleResponse. ParseResponseToCall() failed.
Anyone can solve it ? Please help me, i search them on google but not result. Sometimes, when i touch on the middle of SP3, it touch the icon on the taskbar
Please help me ?

Mr. Lee

There is already a workaround with this. A hotfix has been released for this issue. You can call the Surface Support to request for the hotfix to be sent via email. You may also try this one it may work: <link to .exe removed>

You[/URL] need to prepare a USB thumb drive, download the Zip file using another PC. Format the USB thumb drive to FAT32 and extract the Zip file inside the USB thumb drive. Plug in the USB to your Surface 3 and Boot to USB (Press and hold Volume down, press and hold power button, release power button but keep on pressing the volume down button until you will see the screen calibration to run). Once done, you will see "PASS" and restart the device. It works like magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stivy

There is already a workaround with this. A hotfix has been released for this issue. You can call the Surface Support to request for the hotfix to be sent via email. You may also try this one it may work: <link to .exe removed>

You[/URL] need to prepare a USB thumb drive, download the Zip file using another PC. Format the USB thumb drive to FAT32 and extract the Zip file inside the USB thumb drive. Plug in the USB to your Surface 3 and Boot to USB (Press and hold Volume down, press and hold power button, release power button but keep on pressing the volume down button until you will see the screen calibration to run). Once done, you will see "PASS" and restart the device. It works like magic.

I would appreciate it if you could provide me with the link to this hotfix! The last couple of days I have been looking for a fix without any success...

Jay Marino

Not saying that it isn't true, but I would be surprised if a software "hotfix" fixed the issue with the hardware. Maybe it's true, but if it is, it should be a sticky and every SP3 owner should know about it and get prepared for when it happens. Microsoft was replacing the whole SP3 with a new one when a "hotfix" would have corrected it? I was under the impression like my last SP3 that had the phantom touches that Microsoft took them back behind the toolshed and laid them out to pasture.

Mialia1316

My new Surface pro 3 (great device!!!) has phantom touches. The screen "magically" touches itself. Tha bad thing: I cannot work then. Touching myelf with full hand sometimes helps. But a few minutes later, new self-touches. Mostly in the upper right quarter of the screen. I googles and others have encountered the same problems. Some got their hardware changed. But no official information my Microsoft and no fixes (Firmware?).

Does anyone have the same problem - and what is a cure?

Tnx!
Christian.

Had the same issue with my sp3. Here's the fix which is available on a google search and youtube video

In settings search for "Device manager"
double click "Human interface Devices"
right click "HID-complaint touch screen"
then disable
then enable
finally reboot your device
***NOTE***
when I rebooted it asked me for a password so I figured it was own logon PW so I entered it and found it to be invalid... and since I tried it too many times it wouldn't let me try again but I just simply turned my device back off by pressing the power button til it shut off. (I'm no tech savy) when I started it up again the problem was fixed and I was able to login easily and haven't had the phantom touch again it's been about 1 week now... if it starts again I'll just disable the touchscreen and use it as a laptop only and I'll repost as well.

Jay Marino

yes, if you have phantom touches, the best way to work with your device without them is to disable the touchscreen using your post. however, disabling the touchscreen does eliminate of the main reasons why we use the surface, which is in a tablet and touchscreen mode. I'm sure many of use us the keyboard and such just fine, but if that's the case, spending $1500 on a touchscreenless machine isn't financially ethical. you can get much more for less. the phantom touches need to be adressed and resolved in one way or another. I'm pretty sure its a hardware issue and if you have them, you have them and if you dont, you dont' ?I don't think that a software fix other than diabling the touchscreen will work to resolve the isssue.

roanmh

I am coming into this discussion very late as I did not have this problem. But I start having this problem since last night. It was driving me crazy. Anyway I googled the problem and a lot and finally found a solution.

There is a firmware download from originally touch screen maker that provide touch screen for SPro3.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVF15N190X&upd_id=9338&os_group_id=27
Once the you have downloaded you will find a called Calib4.exe, please run it and don't touch the screen while it is running, once it is done the problem disappears.

I had a similar problems described by this thread, used the calibration tool, and it worked like a charm. A couple extra notes:
- I am running windows 10 pro, which is not mentioned on the website. The tool did still work for me.
- My touch screen issues presented in different ways as well, including certain ares of the screen not responding, phantom touches corresponding with touching the screen elsewhere, so I believe the issue may present in different way as well that are also covered by the tool.

This being said, I have yet to test my device with the new calibration for very long.

Many thanks to Alpha Sierra.